Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tours

We are trying to decide on a tour for the Vatican June29-July 4, 2010 for a family of two adults and two teenage boys. The two options we see on http://www.myvaticantour.com/vatican_special.aspx are: a 3-4 hour Vatican tour that allows entry one-hour prior to the public OR an all-day 8 hour tour that includes many basilicas, the museums, and St. Peter's. They are priced the same. Any suggestions?

Posted by
4152 posts

I can't imaging doing an 8 hour tour of the vatican. That would be exhausting.

Check out the tours offered by the vatican. They have one that is the museums and sistine chapel and one that also includes the basilica. Here is the link:

biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?weblang=en&do

These are great tours and allow you to bypass the line outside.

Donna

Posted by
691 posts

Ellen, we just did the Vatican tour last September, and the 3 hour tour was enough for us, we enjoyed it. The teens will lose interest pretty fast, so an all day tour would be to much. It could also be very crowded and hot at that time of year, i would try to go as early as possible. You can tour St-Peter's on your own after the tour, and you could also climb to the top of the dome for a fee.

Posted by
1446 posts

We did a 3-hr tour in September (Presto Tours) & it was just the right length. I contemplated doing a 5-hr tour but my husband resisted so I chose the 3-hr tour & I'm glad I did. After 3 hours, I was on information overload. I think especially with teenage boys the 3-hr tour would be best.

Posted by
2297 posts

There are many tours available, private ones and now also those organized by the Vatican. The one thing that would really appeal to me is the opportunity to get in before the crowds. The Vatican museum is always really busy and especially so in summer. A shortish tour that begins an hour before the public gets in will give you a better idea of what the place is about than 8 hours of information overload in the midst of crowds.

You can still explore St Peters after the 3-4 hour tour on your own or come back to see that one on another day. St Peter itself is free and open to the public. Don't forget to go up the Dome. There is a fee to do that and there may be line-ups but it's definitely worth it.