Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tours

We've been to the Vatican Museum several years ago with a tour guide. We're going back next month and are indecisive about taking a guided tour again, just go with RS book, rent the audioguide or download the RS audio tour. If we were to download the audio tour, is it worth buying 2 inexpensive ipods and it is easy to do?

Posted by
864 posts

We'll be in Rome mid Sept and although we've toured the Vatican on our own (twice) and on a small group tour (twice) we've sprung for another small tour. Every time I go on a Vatican Museum tour I leave having learned more. A guide (and they were both very good) frees you up to just soak in the information while actually looking directly at what is being described. There is so much to see and generally it's a one shot deal during your vacation unlike say, touring the Louvre with a Museum Pass which allows you to make multiple trips. Anyway, this is the one place I always take a tour. Of course you also need to do your homework and visit being at least marginally informed.

Posted by
1994 posts

I think it depends on how interested you are in learning the art, or theology, or history. I've spent extended periods in the Vatican Museums on 5 trips and I've learned so much from guides. On each trip, I take a tour, as well as spending time on my own in the museums (which allows me more time with specific pieces). The RS audio guides are nice, assuming your interests/taste are compatible with his, but you can't ask questions. Context Travel/Context Rome does the best Vatican tours I've ever been on; I've used them many times in a number of cities. Their groups are limited to 6, which makes it easy to get around the crowds, and to focus on your interests. Re buying 2 inexpensive iPods... If you go that route, you might want to instead get 1 iPod Touch (the most expensive iPod variant) and a splitter for the earphones (or I think you could use BlueTooth, but don't trust my understanding of technology). I bought an iPod Touch last year and have used it on 2 trips to Europe, as well as shorter trips. It has changed the way I travel. In addition to audio tours, I download entertainment for long flights (video travelogues, movies, music, games, etc), use it for Skype, use it as an e-book reader, store/read PDFs of things otherwise carried as paper (backup copies of reservations, info on sites I'm visiting, emergency info, etc), record time/location for pre-booked events, and so on.

Posted by
161 posts

I'm going to look into buying an Ipod touch with a splitter for 2 headphones. Thanks so much for your help.
Carol

Posted by
161 posts

I'm not too tech savvy so please bear with me. I have an old mobile phone that I've been thinking about updating. If I buy the iphone (seems to be the same price as the ipod + monthly fees) is that going to give me what I need to download the podcasts?
It seems RS has podcasts for the Sistine Chapel and St Peters but I don't see a guide for the Vatican Museum. So am I back to square 1- hiring a guide or purchasing the onsite audioguide?

Posted by
32828 posts

You can put the podcasts on anything which can play an MP3. As many devices as you like. Could be a dumb phone with an included MP3 player, could be any MP3 player (well virtually any - any is fairly broad), any version or generation if an iPod, any version of an iPhone, most all other smartphones, any iPad, most any other tablet, pretty much any computer - Apple, Windows or Linux. They are simple files that you start and pause as you need them. My wife and I prefer our own copies so we can move around without being welded at the hip and having a head-height wire between us. The splitter and using one device works great on a train (well, nearly great) but not so great in a crowded (or less crowded) museum, IMHO. You are right - there are tours of the Sistine Chapel and the Basilica of St Peter, but not one of the whole Vatican Museums. He does write extensively on the Vatican Museums though...

Posted by
55 posts

Have you ever used an Apple product? I used to love 'em, but 8 years ago my employer switched to PC's, and I lost all my Apple knowledge - i.e. "intuitiveness". My wife has and iPhone and I find it frustrating - and iPods too. Not to say that you will - but if you're used to old phones (and not Mac computers) make sure you have a few months to get used to an iPhone or ipod before traveling. Also, only certain iPhones will work in Italy - search these forums and be sure to include your carrier (Verizon, T-Mobile, whoever) in the search criteria to find out whether your new one will work (at a reasonable price) in Italy. Don't mean to be cynical. But be prepared for a big change.

Posted by
143 posts

I'm weird I guess. I always listen to the 'walking tours' at home. I don't want too much technology getting in the way of immersing myself in Italy. Sometimes audio wands in museums. I seem to always prefer that human touch in the form of a guide.