Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tours

in searching Vatican tours, I do not know enough about it to book the correct one. We want to see the Gardens, Museum, Sistine Chapel and Stanze di Rafaello. Are these typically all separate tours? I can't seem to find one that covers all.

Posted by
15855 posts

The Sistine and Raphael Rooms are IN the Vatican museums. You can book a tour which includes these on the Vatican's website. You need to book a separate tour of the gardens:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Orari.html

Click on "Skip the queue and buy the tickets online"
Click on "GUIDED TOURS FOR INDIVIDUALS"

The two tours you probably want are the second two from the top: "Vatican Museums and Sistine Chapel" and "Vatican Gardens".

Instead of just the museums, you might also consider the tour which includes the museums and basilica (on the same page). The plus to this one is that it allows you direct, interior entrance to the church from the Sistine without having to exit the museums, go 'round to the basilica entrance and through another security queue.

I did see a tour (not one of the Vatican's own) which included the museums, basilica and gardens but it doesn't promise the Raphael rooms, and reviews were uneven including larger groups than advertised.

Posted by
24 posts

I'm sorry to say that we hated the garden tour. I had been looking forward to it and it's just not interesting. There are a couple of nice statuary but not much else beyond manicured shrubs. The guides don't have any plant knowledge so you don't learn about the botanicals (you might get one that has information but that didn't seem to be a part of the tour.) It's just a place the pope walks around sometimes. I tried to ask about some bright birds and got a "they're all around" sort of answer. Don't waste your money. This is the only harsh thing I have to say about two weeks in Italy. Have the best time.

Posted by
145 posts

The Vatican is amazing but crushingly crowded. We booked a tour through Walks of Italy that got us into the museum early to see the Sistine chapel and the Raphael early, before museum opening. There are several tour groups that offer this, but the crowd is not large very early and so you can actually enjoy the spaces, both of which are awe inspiring!

Posted by
15855 posts

WOI tours are very highly rated indeed. They're very popular with RS forum posters, and I don't think I've ever seen a negative comment about their services from any here whom have used them. They are just a little more $ than some visitors are able to manage.

To be honest, I don't think I'd bother with the garden tour either.