Please sign in to post.

Vatican tours

Ok I'm confused. I have purchased tickets for the Scavi tour and the Vatican museum and sistine chaple. Do I need to also purchase tickets to go into the Vatican garden and St. Peters Basilica. The reason I ask is because when I printed the tickets for the Museum and chapel it came up with the Gardens and Basilica tours as well. I re checked the Vatican site but can not find prices on the Basiclica and Gardens.
Thanks

Posted by
11342 posts

There are several tour package options including the Museum, the Sistine Chapel and the Basilica, for example. The Gardens are a separate 31.00 euro tour. At the Vatican website, go to Museums - Tickets Online - Enter - Guided Tours for Inidividuals - Vatican Gardens. The Gardens tour allows you to continue on your own to see the Museums and Basilica (no guide). So there is some duplication, but since the Basilica is free, well, it's included in everything. The Scavi tour tickets should have come from Ufficio Scavi in a separate email. Double check all your times to make sure there are no conflicts.

Posted by
117 posts

Linda,
I'm not sure about the gardens, but there is no charge for the basilica, and it can be entered through a side door from the sistine chapel without having to stand in line all over again. Enjoy!

Posted by
18 posts

: Does anyone know if we can get into the gardens on the ticket I purchased or should I scrap the ones I purchased and rebuy the ones including the gardens.
thanks

Posted by
11342 posts

Does anyone know if we can get into the gardens on the ticket I purchased or should I scrap the ones I purchased and rebuy the ones including the gardens. Your first post says when I printed the tickets for the Museum and chapel it came up with the Gardens and Basilica tours as well. I thought you had already intentionally bought them. Hard to say from afar what your tickets say. Do you want a guided tour of the Vatican Museums or to wander on your own? (The gardens must be on a guided tour.) Don't scrap anything until you are certain what you have. Can you tell us more about what the tickets say?

Posted by
18 posts

Sorry I don't seem to explain myself very well. The tickets I purchased are only for the Vatican Museum and the Sistine Chapel. I paid 15 euros for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel. (I assume this is a self guided tour) When I printed the tickets for the Vatican Museum and Sistine chapel a page of other tours and places to visit also printed. They showed a tour of the Vatican Museum, Sistine Chapel 31 euro. (I assume this is with a guide) Vatican Gardens for 31 euro (again I assume this is with a guide) and Vatican Museum, Sistine chapel and ST Peters Basilica for 36 euros. No where can I find a price for just the Gardens. Also I am thinking it might be better to do the tour with a guide. What do you think.
Thanks

Posted by
11342 posts

The only way to see the gardens is with a Vatican guided group. If it is really important to you, you would have to scrap the tickets you bought, or find someone to buy them from you. Before you do that, or buy anything else, why don't you read up on the gardens and see if it is really worth the 31 euros per person for YOU. Are you planning to self-guide through the Museums, or perhaps use Rick Steves' audio tour on MP3?