Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tours

Do we need to book a tour in Rome? We will be there just over 1 day before boarding ship. I have planned all other ports but can't seem to get a handle on Rome. It seems overwhelming. We want to see Vatican Museum, St Peters, Colosseum. We are staying at Hotel Alexandra near Spanish Steps. Could we buy tickets thru Viator, take taxi to Vatican (Expensive?) or should be book thru a tour company to pick us up and drive and walk around all places?
Also, Vatican Museum Viator Tour says Museum is 9 miles.
Do we walk 9 miles? I am 65. I'm not sure I can walk all that way. Thanks for any help.

Posted by
2207 posts

I guess I've been quoted 3 1/2 miles of museum space but no one could (or would) ever walk all that in one visit - too much to see!

Most tours come in, go up the escalator, turn left, head through the Pine Cone Courtyard, turn left again and walk STRAIGHT to the Sistine Chapel and then out... So maybe a mile at best. You'll walk further going from the Basilica to the Museum entrance!

Since you have what appears to be limited time, I'd decide specifically what I wanted to see -- and SEE THAT! Good Luck!

Ciao,
Ron

Posted by
466 posts

The Vatican museum is actually 7 miles long but that is if you walk in the door walk every corridor and then walk back on the other side to the entrance you came in. You can do the museum and just see what you want to i.e. Sistine chapel etc.... Taxis are not expensive so taking one from the Spanish steps to theColosseum or the Vatican will not cost very much.

Posted by
3 posts

This is from Viator.com on Vatican Museum Tour:
Book your Skip the Line: Vatican Museums Walking Tour including Sistine Chapel, Raphael's Rooms and St Peter's ahead of time to take advantage of jumping the queue.

Explore one of world's most fascinating Meccas on this walking tour. Stroll the Vatican Museums, which house over 9 miles of the most extensive collection of art in the world. Brilliantly decorated and lined with masterpieces, the Museums brim with treasures and history. Your guide will lead you through the 2000 rooms that stretch over almost 9 miles. They will share the stories and secrets contained within the Vatican Museum's walls, pleasures originally meant for the exclusive enjoyment of the Pope.

Thanks for both of your messages. I think we'll buy tickets and taxi there from hotel.

Posted by
10344 posts

Mary: That's an interesting quote from the website: they obviously must mean something other than what they appear to be saying. If they actually dragged you through each of 2000 rooms, even if you were in each room only 1 minute, that tour would take 33 hours!! (2000 rms / 60 min = 33 hours)! :) This could be an inaccurate translation into English of something originally written in Italian--what they must mean is what Ron and Mark are saying (above).

Posted by
3 posts

After I read your messages, I went back to web site that I saw the mileage. I was exhausted thinking about it. I thought I'd better step up my time at the fitness center. Thanks for all of your help. It really it help me to think about it. I think I will order the tickets and taxi there.