Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tour June 2015

I just saw the Vatican Website and they have tours to their museums and the Sistine Chapel for 16 Euros + 4 Euros (pre-sale fee).
This tour does not have a guide. Has anyone booked a tour with someone other than the Vatican?
Any help/experience is appreciated.
Thank you.

Posted by
239 posts

We went in October 2014 and used the Walks of Italy for both the Vatican and the Colossieum. (sp?). We had to meet for the Vatican tour at 7:30 AM (a bit early for me) for good reason!! The people were already lining up to get in and the Vatican did not open till 9 or 10 to the general public. We got in before the general opening, went through different parts of the Vatican and then had approx. 20 minutes in the Sistine Chapel. It was fantastic! In the Sistine Chapel we could sit, see the floor and enjoy the room. After the Sistine Chapel we continued on to see other parts of the Vatican. When we went back through around 10:30 AM (you had to go through the Sistine Chapel to get to St. Peter's) it was CROWDED!! I mean people bumping into each other crowded! It was crazy busy! Go to their website and check them out, they are not cheap but they were worth every penny to us! I would highly recommend them. Good Luck!

Posted by
11613 posts

I used Through Eternity for a 7:30am entry, excellent tour, very small group (7 in ours).

Posted by
368 posts

dianneza5- We have made arrangement through the vatican website for a guided tour for 31 euros( the 20 above, 10euro for the guide and 1.50 euro for the headphones) for the afternoon, as it is usually less crowded than the mornings. This will be the first time we are going through with a guide, but our cousins are going with us and have never been to Italy. I know several people who have gone on these tours and they were very pleased with these tours, which offer skip the lines, friday evening and even very early morning tours for a fraction of what Viator and walks of italy charge. The vatican museums are always crowded, I just looked up a startling stat- 5 million visitors last year went through the museums and when you consider how many days they are closed, it averages to a staggering amount of people. Good luck with your decision!

Posted by
1174 posts

Check further on the Vatican website for a Friday evening tour. We took one starting at 1900 with only 200 people and had the Sistine Chapel to ourselves! WE sat for an hour listening to Rick's download detailing all of the magnificent ceiling sections. At 2100 another 200 people were admitted but we had the whole place practically to ourselves for FOUR hours. Best bargain in Rome.

Posted by
77 posts

A lot of great information and it will help me make the best decision for our group of 12.
I really like the evening tour option (Vatican website). Our group has some late starters.
I love this community❤️. Thanks.

Posted by
18 posts

Could you provide a link to the Vatican website Friday night tour. I couldn't find it. Thanks

Posted by
4152 posts

Diane, the 16+4 euro ticket is simply for entry, it is not a tour. If you wish to book a tour you can use the same official website but you must choose "guided tour for individuals". These tours will be with a guide and can last between 2-3 hours depending on which tour you choose.

If you choose to do the night tour or visit remember that the basilica closes at 7pm so you'll need to visit that either before the tour or on another day. Be sure everyone in the group is dressed according to the guidelines.

The night tours are great because it's not as hot nor as crowded. If you wish to book a guided night tour you should book it as soon as possible as they tend to fill up. You can also visit on Friday nights without a tour. Be aware that not all of the rooms and galleries are open on Friday nights so check to be sure the ones you're interested in are going to be open.

Donna

Posted by
107 posts

Make sure you know the dress code. No shorts or exposed shoulders. Use the Vatican website.

Posted by
15800 posts

Yes, that is for everyone: men and women. The same applies to St Peter's and most other churches in Rome/throughout Italy. The rule is that knees, shoulders and a modest amount of décolletage should be covered, and t-shirts with 'objectionable' graphics or slogans should be avoided.

Posted by
4152 posts

Women can wear shorts that cover the knee, as well as longer skirts, dresses or capris. Men must wear pants to ensure access to the basilica. Everyone must have their shoulders covered. Anyone not following these rules may be turned away.

Donna

Posted by
11613 posts

Not at Saint Peter's, but some churches will loan you a horrid looking diaphanous, synthetic cover that looks like it itches. Better to dress appropriately.

Posted by
5 posts

What about skirts that are over the knees but not those very short ones, just over the knees.

Posted by
77 posts

I definitely advise to go online to the Vatican Museum website to purchase tickets. We went on Monday, June 15, 2015 at 2:30pm. I purchased our tickets and printed our voucher. When we arrived, the line to purchase tickets was very long. We bypassed the line, went right to the "purchased tickets" line and only had a few people in front of us. Our ticket was scanned and we began our visit.
I would advise to go as early as possible. It was very crowded at 2:30. Allow yourself 2-3 hours. There is so much to see. Amazing museum!