Please sign in to post.

Vatican tour

I am not really interested in doing a group tour at the Vatican however, I am sensing that is the only way to avoid the long lines in July. Could someone advise?

Posted by
1116 posts

If you don't want to book a tour, get there early in the morning to stand in line. It opens at 9 so get there at least by 8. I went in October with a tour group and we got in line at 730 and we got in at 8 am. Our tour director pointed out that they do this for tour groups (early entry). Nothing wrong with doing it on your own, you can take your time and meander through at your own pace. Read up in Rick's book about the exit door at the Sistine Chapel that lets you out right next to St Peter's if you plan on seeing the basilica also.

Posted by
2 posts

It sounds like you suggest the tour though to be on the safe side, is that correct?

Posted by
4152 posts

If you don't want to do a tour just buy timed entry tickets as laurel suggests. They allow you to bypass the lines outside. The Vatican museums are huge so I usually suggest that first time visitors take the tour offered by the Vatican, but the choice is up to you. You can also rent an audio guide if you prefer a little more info without being on a tour. Donna