Please sign in to post.

Vatican Tickets

Can you order Vatican museum tickets online or do you have to wait in line at the Vatican itself?

Posted by
636 posts

What about faxing to the Vatican for the Group Tour? Or, people have said that they get an e-mail back, confirming those tours. Is it possible to just send them an initial e-mail, rather than a fax (which, I have heard, can be problematic)?

Posted by
2207 posts

Leslie - to try and answer your question - I helped a young man start his Tour Group business here with the Vatican Museum. It took him 18 months to get the "rights" to early access (Skip the Line). Once he had "access" he then had to deposit 10,000 Euro into an account specific to his agency. Each time he reserved a spot, they would deduct 18 euro from his account (14 for entry + 4 for early access charge).

Depsite all this, EACH NIGHT at midnight to reserve his spots for the next day (if he has not pre-bought) he must FAX his "requested entry spots" to the Vatican. EVERY NIGHT-No email, no SMS, they require & accept only a FAX!

So they do not do email even for him. Your best bet is to select an private agency/tour group. Ensure that they DO HAVE access to skip the line. Expect to pay about 45 - 60 Euros per person. As you can see, an agency's minimum overhead is 18 Euro... and that does not include paying the guide - or for smaller agencies the "gatherers." Hope that helps!

Posted by
636 posts

Ron - Yikes! That's incredible. I thought that I had read somewhere that someone e-mailed a request. But, apparently, not.

We have booked with 3 Millennia for a tour. It's not a "skip the line", but Tony Polzer said that the wait will be minimal, if at all.

Posted by
7 posts

We were in Roma during the Easter week and even then the lines were pretty fast moving. Our tour guide provided a lively color commentary during our wait so the time was well used. Jennifer Cody did a great tour of the Basilica and the Vatican museum. jcpg99@yahoo.com

Posted by
13 posts

I emailed a request to the Vatican for a Museum tour. I received an email confirmation back for a Vatican Gardens tour. Does anyone know if the museum and garden are included in the same tour? I have emailed them back to inquire, but I am still waiting on a response. Thanks

Posted by
636 posts

So, this is where I get confused about whether you can arrange things with the Vatican via e-mail.

Posted by
2207 posts

I called my tour guide buddies in Rome and they said that there is " a system" to book through the Vatican directly. They gave me this website:

http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

They also said it was a very inefficient system( this statement coming from the compeition, of course). They said the primary complaint they got from folks who came to them instead if the Vatican was booking issues, a long lead time, and returning communication if you had questions or needed more info.

As you see, it says reservations must be faxed... and then later says send an email???

From the website:
"It is necessary to book in advance by fax. Bookings are valid only if you receive our fax confirmation to be shown at the “Guided Tours” desk on the day of the visit."

Also from the website:
OFFICE FOR GUIDED TOURS
e-mail (groups and individuals) : visiteguidate.musei@scv.va

Certainly a little confusing.

Posted by
636 posts

Well, I guess we'll keep it simple and go with a private tour company. It looks like the Vatican Tour is only 2 hours and does not include St. Peter's Basilica.

Now, we just have to decide between 3 Millennia and Angel. They seem similar. Angel is a little bit less expensive, but we made a tentative reservation with 3 Millennia first. So, we're still thinking ...

Any insights into which of the two might be a better choice would be great!

Posted by
24 posts

I emailed the vatican to set up my tour. I received an email the next morning. I was booking to early, as I am not going to September. Below is the response I received to my email:

Someone on this board said they set up their reservations via email, I emailed to: visiteguidate.musei@scv.va

Dear Sirs,

with reference to your fax we inform you that we do not accept booking request on February for September, because it is so far.

We are sure that your visit can be done but we should be most grateful if you could send us a new request one month before the date of your visit.

Thank you for your cooperation.

Most sincerely.

VATICAN MUSEUMS

Guided Tours Office

Posted by
2 posts

I emailed the Vatican museum about three weeks before our arrival. I received a response and reservation by email the next morning. Last week, in Rome I took my emailed reservation up to the guard and was quickly sped through the process. We had a great 2 hour tour with a guide who then showed us the "secret" door into St. Peter's.

Posted by
21 posts

We booked our official vatican museum tour via Fax.
It wasn't hard!
They just sent us a fax back with confirmation.
That's it!

Posted by
13 posts

I received an email stating that my Vatican Museum Tour was already booked up,so they automatically reserved places in their Vatican Gardens Tour. I'm not sure if we will do that tour or not. We were advised to wait until a month before to book. We are six weeks away and they are already full. I gave them two days but both were taken. I guess I will go with Angel Tours.

Posted by
1 posts

See, I am confused about the vatican reservations.

I faxed AND emailed them in Jan. for a June booking, they said it was too early, that I should try 1 month in advance. Today, being 1 month in advance, I faxed & emailed again. 1 reservation for the garden tour, 1 for the museum & sistine chapel. I got back 2 emails with what looked like a reservation, but then in really small print on only the garden request it said ... "We are sorry to inform you that on the date you requested all tours of the Vatican Museums are already fully booked" But it doesn't say that on the museum tour. Both gave me a reference code on a reservation form. What do the reservations look like if these aren't them? HELP!!!!