Please sign in to post.

Vatican - St Peters Basilica

Does the non-guided vatican tickets include the Vatican Museum, the Sistine Chapel and St. Peter's Basilica? I can see that you can get tickets for the museum and the Sistine Chapel, but it doesn't mention St. Peter's Basilica.

Posted by
49 posts

You don't need tickets for St. Peter's -- it's free. You just have to wait in a security line to get in.

Posted by
4152 posts

St. Peter's is a church and is free to enter. Be sure to dress properly or they won't let you inside. Donna

Posted by
1501 posts

Another Donna here I was turned away from St. Peters dressed quite modestly once. skirt that covered my knees and a high-necked top that I thought covered my shoulders, and had to get out of line to buy a scarf to put over my shoulders to enter..so make sure your shoulders and knees are covered. No shorts for men.

Posted by
62 posts

The Vatican museum ticket includes the Sistine Chapel. You come to it at the end! The basilica, like others have said, is completely separate and free to enter.

Posted by
7 posts

Rick Steves suggested a connection between the Vatican and St. Peter's. It worked perfectly! When you are in the Sistine Chapel with Michelangelo's Creation of Adam painting on the ceiling, as you exit through the back you will see two exit doors, one on the left and one on the right. Take the exit on the right, which takes you out either to an entrance into St. Peter's (go left) or if you go right, to an elevator to the dome of St. Peter's (costs about 7 euro).

Posted by
4152 posts

You can't always count on being able to use the "tour door". There are usually guards at the door to make sure only those on authorized tours use the door. This is what it's for and not intended for everyone to use. You can try it but don't be surprised if they refuse to let you go through. Donna