Please sign in to post.

Vatican SCAVI tour?

I've seen references to this underground Vatican tour but am unsure where to get tickets for it. I can get to the Vatican site but I cannot find the tour. Can someone point me in the right direction?

Posted by
381 posts

I went on the Scavi tour when we were in Rome. It is by far the least known of tour yet the most impactful. You actually go beneath the altar of St. Peter's where there are two additional atlars. Below the lowest altar is the Tomb of St. Peter's. You actually see a bone frament of St. Peter. He was buried in a necropolis which St. Peters was built on. Read the history and go on the tour. But make your reservations early. The tours are very limited. You need to make reservations sometimes months in advance. If you get a ticket you hear from them. If you dont' they may not even respond. Tours are divided by language and I believe there are only about 15 per language a day. Be as flexible as possible when requesting dates and follow the instructions very carefully. Also, there are restrictions on kids. Dress very appropriately and be on time for the tour. This was absolutely the most impactful site visit in Italy for me. Good luck.

Posted by
974 posts

We went on it in October, many thanks to this forum for the tip. It can be very close quarters and humid/warm underground, so consider if you are sensitive to either of those. You cannot leave the tour once it begins. Very interesting however. No pictures allowed and if you want any souvenirs- a few postcards and a couple of booklets-- you must buy them in advance when you check in for the tour. Allow plenty of time to find the correct window, after security on the LEFT ( unlike the other lines on the right). Be sure to go to the restroom before you go- another line to stand in!

Posted by
107 posts

Thank you! Request sent. I am looking for dates in July. How far in advance did you request and how long did it take to get a reply?

Posted by
4152 posts

Don't be surprised if you don't hear from them for a while. There are only 2 people working in the office and they go at their own pace. Sometimes they send responses right away, even for tours that are months away, and sometimes they only book tours a few weeks in advance. Just keep checking your email and your spam folder. If you've sent your request they have it and will contact you as soon as possible. Donna

Posted by
1018 posts

We took the Scavi tour last summer and it was ok. The heat and humidity beneath St. Peter's was very uncomfortable. The ticket procurement process was very easy and the the Scavi Office responded quickly. We are in Italy every summer and visit the Vatican when we are in Roma. We much preferred going up in the dome or visiting the Sistine Chapel to the Scavi. However, you should go and make your own impressions. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
974 posts

I booked in June for an October visit. You have to pay in full, 12 euros per person with a credit card, no refunds. I requested one day and within 36 hours had my confirmation receipt in hand, which you need to carry with you.

Posted by
974 posts

AND you have to be 15 years old to take the tour. Also: "The Excavations Office is reached through the Holy Office Gate (through Colonnade to the left): ask the Swiss Guard for the Excavations Office. > - Since the visitors will see the tomb of St. Peter during the course of the tour, they must be dressed in a manner appropriate to a sacred place. > Shoulders of both men and women must be covered. Women must skirts or dresses beneath their knees or else trousers. Men must wear trousers > - The visitors are reminded that they are not allowed to bring bulky objects into the excavations (suitcases, backpacks, photo...). Large bags and backpacks must be deposited there prior to coming to the Excavations Office. > St. Peter's Basilica offers a free bag check service located in the lower right façade of Basilica. > - It is necessary to be in the office, 10 minutes before the time of the visit. Please bring with you a valid identification, for securtiy reasons.
> - A visitor who would arrive late or with a large bag would not be allowed to join the visit."

Posted by
107 posts

Did any of you have kids on the tour? Did they ask for passsports for all the members or just the one picking up the tickets?

Posted by
974 posts

No kids allowed, no passport needed. They looked at my printout of their acknowledgement of the credit card receipt and handed it back to me.

Posted by
4152 posts

If you have kids they won't be allowed on the tour unless they're 15 years old. If you really wish to do the tour then you may have to split up and take the tour alone while your wife watches the kids and then let her do the tour. This tour is very hard to get on and they only let a limited number of people go a day. The site is very fragile which is why they don't allow large bags inside. This may also be part of the reason they don't want kids on the tour. Donna

Posted by
381 posts

We made our reservations about 4 months in advance. I gave them a few dates to give ourselves a better chance. We sent the request on a weekend and was shocked to get a response by the end of the weekend. As far as kids, the age limit is 15 but it is hit or miss how carefully they check. My brother went on the tour with his 13 year old and was able to pass him off at 15. They never checked. Just have a plan B in case they do if you try to bring someone younger in.

Posted by
4152 posts

Please, don't try to sneak someone in who shouldn't be there. The rules are there for a reason. If you really want your teen to see the site ask when you put in the request. The worst they can say is no. Donna

Posted by
107 posts

Thank you for all the info. I received a tour date today!

Posted by
49 posts

Just remember that you will have to adhere to the dress code that applies to St. Peter's Basilica. I went a couple of years ago, and it is truly amazing. I didn't have a problem with the temperature and humidity underground, but it was March.