Please sign in to post.

Vatican - Scavi Tour

Hi everyone,

I have Scavi tickets (St. Peter/Necropolis) for a Saturday in March. I've read conflicting reports as what the ticket entitles you to after the tour is over. Is it true that the tour dumps you out into St. Peter's Basilica? My understanding is that once the tour is complete, you've essentially skipped the line and you are able to enter into St. Peter's. If that is correct, then it helps me plan out the rest of my day over there. Thanks in advance.

Posted by
61 posts

That's what happened on our tour last March. You will go through security check to begin the Scavi tour and then into St. Peter's directly after the tour.

Posted by
3812 posts

The only line to enter Saint Peter's Cathedral is the security line. The Scavi tour has its own (shorter) security line, since the tour ends inside the Cathedral there would be no reason to check participants again.

Posted by
170 posts

Thank you both. So I’m a way, the Scavi tour has the added benefit of also being a “skip the line” for St Peter’s?

Posted by
3221 posts

Yes.
If I remember rightly, at the end of the tour you come up under the Church into a big area with all the Popes memorial headstones and statues : inside the building.
You then make your way through this area and end up, still inside, in the main vast indoor area of St. Peter's.
This was in 2013, and I don't suppose it will be any different.
Remember to bring the smallest bags you have, in order not to have to fuss with going back and forth to check oversized bags.
Also, it's very hot and humid down there; so bring water, fan, layered clothing so you can take outer layers off.

Posted by
82 posts

I wish to purchase the Scavi tickets for a visit to Rome next September. Is there an official site as I am concerned about booking through a tour company. Thank you

Posted by
170 posts

You have to email the Scavi office to request tickets. They ask for a range of dates and they tell you if they have a time and date available. If they do, they’ll respond in 4-6 weeks (my experience) with a link for you to confirm and add credit card info.