Please sign in to post.

Vatican museum

I am doing a cruise with my parents in April with my parents.. While a cruise is not my top choice of how to see anything in Europe it was the best decision of how to do it with my parents. It is not the first time in Europe for any of us but it is the first time in Rome. We are going to focus mostly on visiting Vatican City for our time in Rome as it is a must for my mom.!my question is what time to purchase our tickets for the museum. I have read that it is so crowded when they first open and that the better option is to go around 2pm. The thing that worries me is feeling rushed since we have to start the drive back to the cruise ship by 4:30pm and I don't want to feel rushed in the Vatican museum. My thought was doing the Vatican first so as to not feel rushed and if we end up having time to see other things in Rome that's great and if not that is ok too.. Opinions? We are using romeinlimo to get from the cruise ship into Rome for convenience sake for my parents

Posted by
15826 posts

Tracy, I usually advise people to do the thing on the top of their must-see list FIRST. That way, if there's some sort of complication that delays arrival at the attraction, or it ends up being something that requires more versus less time than expected, then it's sure to get done. The museums are going to be busy, period, so make it the first thing you do in Rome.

In your case, I would definitely book a tour which gets you from the museums directly into the basilica, and so avoids a long walk from one to the other and a wait in an entry queue at St Peter's. It'll be easier on your parents as the museums are vast, and doing both those and the church will involve hours on their feet. That's another reason for doing it first thing, when they're fresh, rather than later when may be getting tired.

Posted by
87 posts

I have seen a post about a tour directly through the Vatican museum.. Would that get enable us to go directly to the basilica?

Posted by
15826 posts

Yes. You may book a tour of both the museums (includes the Sistine Chapel) and the basilica of St Peter's which includes direct access into the basilica via a tours-only stairway. You can book that on the Vatican website (least expensive option) or through any number of independent guide services.

Scroll down to the "Vatican Museums and Saint Peter's Basilica" 3-hour tour:

http://www.museivaticani.va/3_EN/pages/z-Info/MV_Info_Servizi_Visite.html

After your tour ends in the basilica, you are free to spend as much independent time in the church as you please: you just can't re-enter the museums. All tours of this length cover just the highlights of the museums as otherwise, the collection would take days to see!

Posted by
4152 posts

My suggestion would be to book the tour without the basilica. The reasoning is that once the tour is over you can stay inside the museums and visit other rooms not included on the tour, such as the egyptian rooms. Once you're finished in the museums your tour ticket gives you the right to use the bypass tour door into the basilica. You don't need to be on a tour that includes the basilica to use this door, you just need to take a tour in order to use it. Since the Vatican area is your main focus you shouldn't limit yourself on the time spent inside the museums.

Use the official site to see which tour time works best with your cruise schedule. You can book tickets or tour up to 60 days in advance at the official website.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking

If you click on the "guided tours for individuals" all the possible tours available come up for you to choose from. Click on each and read their descriptions to pick the tour best for you.

If you have time after the museums and basilica to see anything else in the city you can grab a taxi right outside of St. Peter's.

Donna