Please sign in to post.

Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel

I am buying skip the line tickets for 9am for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel.
Is it possible to go see the Sistine Chapel first then go back and see the museum part?
I am hoping if we go to the Sistine Chapel first it will be less crowded. But I do want to see the museum part so I want to backtrack to see it.

Posted by
1078 posts

Not possible-you have to go through the museum first.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can go through the other galleries without pausing and get to the Sistine Chapel first, then backtrack through the rest of the galleries, but lots of others will have the same plan.

Posted by
24 posts

We were just there with morning tickets. I think you'll be just fine enjoying the museum as you go. You may have picked a decent time but it's going to be crowded, have a good time anyway!

Posted by
3 posts

I agree that you will be fine and you do have to meander through the museum. We also purchased the 9:00 a.m. as it's the first slot they offered. Got there early (about 20 minutes - just in case security was long) and we were inside the museum by 8:45. Monday morning. August 2016.

You might as well snap a few pix along the way so you don't have to backtrack. After exiting the Sistine Chapel, we found ourselves alone in many areas in the museum. Maybe we took a wrong turn when everyone else made a mad dash to the exit, but we very pleasantly had several rooms all to ourselves.

Side note: we were dressed accordingly minus our ten year old daughter who was in a sleeveless dress (her sweater in my day pack). No one said a word and she strolled right through...bare shoulders and all.

Posted by
15607 posts

Keep in mind that everything you want to see in the Sistine Chapel is above everyone's head. Crowded or not, you'll have the same view. And even if it's not full, it won't be quiet. It's a long way from the entrance to the Chapel. To go back to the start and do it again means a lot more walking. To do the route "backwards" from the Chapel is like a salmon swimming upstream. Take a good look at the website, the museumS are extensive - note the plural. Room after room after room, all chock-full of wonderful things. I recommend deciding which "bits" most interest you and focusing on them, then seeing the Chapel.

When you get there, have your printed reservations in hand. There should be a separate security line for those with reservations and it should be shorter that the other line.