Please sign in to post.

Vatican Museum

Should we buy tickets for the Vatican Museum and Sistine Chapel in advance? We will be there mid October. I just don't want to be stuck in a long line.

Posted by
864 posts

We were there last October and bought tour tickets on-line from home. Skipped the line, had a small group with a good tour guide. Husband said it was some of the best money we ever spent in Rome. Research it on-line to find what fits your desires. Do buy tickets to the Museo Borghese on-line from home. It's a don't miss but reservations are required.

Posted by
4152 posts

If you're interested in going in the morning then I would suggest pre-purchasing tickets which will allow you to bypass the lines outside. If you wait until the afternoon there is usually little or no line at all. Donna

Posted by
265 posts

YES, YES and YES buy them in advance!!! Schedule the time, show up to the front door early and show it to the guard outside. He will direct you where to wait close to the door if you show him the printed copy from the Vatican web-site. Go get them from the site. http://mv.vatican.va/3_EN/pages/MV_Home.html

Posted by
653 posts

Get tickets or reservations in advance, definitely. It will still be crowded, but you won't wait outside in a long line. As for the Borghese, it's fabulous. Lots of Bernini sculptures. It's surrounded by a huge park with other museums, boat rides on the lake, a couple of restaurants, and there are several ways to get around besides walking (bikes, segues, a little train, etc.). I walked from the Gallery to the Pincio (great views of Rome and excellent signage throughout the park) and down the path to the Piazza del Popolo.