Please sign in to post.

Vatican Garden Tour

I understand that walking through the Vatican Gardens can only be done on a guided tour, and for our visit, next month in February, this is only offered at 10:30. After the two hour tour, we can go into the museum. We are interested in this because we are very crowd averse, and it seems like an uncrowded activity at the Vatican. Our plan would be to go very early to see St. Peters, before this tour.

A couple of questions:

I know the museum will be crowded by the time we get there, but we can't fit in a morning tour before the garden tour. We will then just check out the museum and leave if it is unpleasantly crowded, and we realize this is likely. Are the morning breakfast tours so uncrowded that we should do this instead? It sounds like the morning tours are still pretty crowded, from what I've read.

Do you have any suggestions for actually getting the credit card purchase of tickets to go through on the Vatican site? I have had my transaction fail three times now. My card has worked with every other purchase I have made, but not this one.

Posted by
922 posts

We took the garden tour and really enjoyed it. The group is small and you get to see a lot of buildings, gardens, special sites and have some great views. Take your camera! As for your credit card, try calling your credit card company and tell them what you are trying to purchase and ask them to authorize it. You might also clear your browser and cookies before you try again.

Posted by
439 posts

Thanks Stephen, I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed it. I'll call the CC company and try again.

Posted by
11359 posts

The garden tour is worth doing and yes, uncrowded, at least it was the day we went.

After your tour the museums will be very crowded, no question. Does your garden tour include museum entrance? If not, you may want to get timed entry tickets in advance or you risk a long line just to get tickets. The morning, early entry tours meet at 730 and are not done in time for your garden tour. AFAIK they run until noon, at least Walks of Italy does.

As to your CC, have you informed the CC company that you are making overseas purchases? That could be a factor. I know sometimes my Visa or MC won’t work but my AMEX will, if that is an option for you.

Posted by
439 posts

Well, that was a fun learning process! I called my bank and they authorized the transaction. Nothing. I went through 4 people who were all mystified, until someone finally asked me if I had a pin on my card. Yes, I do. My pin was blocked or locked or something. Someone unblocked my pin. On the next attempt, a box popped up and a notification was sent to my cell phone. I had to log into my banking app to approve the purchase. Sweet success at long last. My voucher has already been emailed and is printing.

So, Vatican Garden tour it is!