Please sign in to post.

Vatican Early Morning Tours 2024??

Yesterday my husband and I booked this early entrance tour of the Vatican: https://www.livitaly.com/tour/early-entrance-vatican-small-group-tour/. We almost purchased from this site, but they only had one ticket for the day we needed. https://www.walksofitaly.com/vatican-tours/pristine-sistine-chapel-tour/

Today, he stumbled across a Reddit post stating that they've discontinued early entrance tours of the Vatican for 2024.

So now I'm confused. How are tour operators selling these tours? Is the Vatican allowing them or not?

Posted by
29 posts

But if that is the case, why are there early morning tours? We just booked one yesterday. That suggests that either the tour companies are ripping us off, or that the tours are still be done.

Posted by
15863 posts

Kathleen, I took a look at the tour you'd linked and something is definitely off. The museums are now open to the public at 8:00 versus 9:00. If the meet-up time for the tour is 7:30 - that's the MEET time, not the time you actually enter - you won't be getting in an hour before the public, as stated in this text from the description.

"Just as the name suggests, people who sign up for this tour get to enter the Vatican Museums one entire hour before the general public."

To be honest, I would contact any company selling tours which promise early entrance and ask what time they actually get inside. That doesn't mean that there still isn't a benefit to having an experienced guide shepherd you to/explain some of the highlights: museums are a huge and confusing place!

Just a comment about Walks of Italy's "Pristine Sistine", which is probably the other tour you considered? Given the description, the Sistine is the very last stop in the museums before it heads off to the basilica. I'd question how uncrowded it would be by the time the tour gets there, if seeing the chapel in relative peace is the goal? This has been a very popular, highly rated tour in the past but at least one forum poster a couple of months ago - back when public entry time wasn't until 9:00 - was disappointed in how crowded the chapel was by the time the tour got there. Purchasers of that tour years back said it used to go the chapel first and then double back to other parts of the museums.

Understand that I haven't actually done any of the early entrance tours recently, and not since the Vatican changed the public entry hours last month and removed their own early entrance products off their website. Just trying to keep a finger on what's shakin' with the most-visited attractions in Rome; the only constant is change, eh?

Posted by
30 posts

Kathleen,
I booked the Pristine Sistine early entrance a few weeks ago for a May tour date. I agree the Sistine Chapel will be crowded at the end of the tour, but it is at the end of the tour - you have to walk through the rest of the museum to get there from what I remember from 2019 doing it ourselves. Please keep us updated to what you find out.
Margaret

Posted by
4 posts

We have just had a similar problem in 2017 we had pre opening access and thought the tour we had just booked was the same but on reading they list "early access" not prior to opening.
After much back and forth they have admitted you are just at the front of the line at 08:00 so we have cancelled and this is the same for the other 5 tours we have looked at claiming early access.

Posted by
5 posts

We are visiting next month and are using https://www.toursbylocals.com/early-morning-vatican-tour. While we have no experience with her, I really liked the fact that she encourages us to meet at 7:00-7:15 and will use that time to discuss the Sistine Chapel and be ready to go exactly when the doors open. Many others were not meeting until after the doors were already opened to the public.

Posted by
27230 posts

That looks like a very, very useful video. Thanks for posting the URL.

Posted by
29 posts

Thanks for that video. It is really helpful and answered all my questions!

Posted by
361 posts

I did an early Vatican Museum tour about a month ago with The Tour Guy, and yes, we got in the Museum at opening time, not before. But I HIGHLY recommend doing an early tour, because the crowds are much less than they are later in the day. And when we got to the Sistine Chapel, there was actually room to sit on the benches around the edges of the room. There were people in the Chapel, but it wasn't shoulder to shoulder like later in the day. I got to sit down and really take the whole thing in. It was truly wonderful.

I went the next day with my husband, on the same tour, but it started at 1:00 pm. Everything was MUCH more crowded. I enjoyed the early tour much more. (It's a long story why I went two days in a row, I won't bore you with it)

Posted by
27230 posts

Thanks for your report, Mary. It's very helpful to have a direct comparison between the two times of the day at the same time of the year.

Posted by
15863 posts

Thanks from me too, Mary. Good to have News From The Ground!