Please sign in to post.

Vatican City

Hi,

Two adults and two teens visiting Vatican City in April. I just booked Vatican Museums/Sistine Chap. tours on official Vatican website for 10:30 am. We also want to spend time in basilica. Does anyone have insight on how to make day go smoothly and what else I need to consider? Any hints would be much appreciated (haven't been there in 20 years:)

Posted by
2 posts

Hi. Went early last May with my adult son. The last time I was there was 2000 and I was shocked by the change — mainly in terms of volume of people.

First, I suggest you arrive at the processing area by 9:30, 9:45 latest. As you approach there will be Vatican employees on foot who will direct you to the correct line. Because you have reservations, you shouldn’t have to wait. The ticket you have allows you to enter and follow a ton of signs to get in line for the actual ticket. The whole process takes a long time and the tour will not wait for you.

Be aware that there is an absolute crush of people. If any one of you has claustrophobia, it’s rough. Photos are difficult because you will in all seriousness be back to front and side to side with other people. It’s still all amazing to see, and to understand the vast wealth and treasure in the Vatican. Note that the Sistine Chapel allows no photography and you must be silence.

At the end, there is a way to enter to the basilica through a shortcut — if they make that possible for you, TAKE THE OPTION rather than choosing to explore the galleries further on your own, or you may have to wait a long time in a new line.

The Basilica is GORGEOUS and you will have FAR more breathing room, there :)

Posted by
27812 posts

The official policy has been that only tours covering both the Museums and the Basilica are allowed to pass through the door from the Sistine Chapel. It's highly unlikely you'll be able to exit that way, but one cannot say the chances are 0%.

If you can stand to do it, I'd suggest getting up very early and going to St. Peter's before it opens at 7 AM. The security line is said to be quite short then. At other times of the day it looks terribly long. I've never stood in it, so I don't know how fast that line moves, but it was very discouraging--so discouraging that I gave up on the idea entirely. On my next (unscheduled) trip to Rome I'll somehow force myself out of bed at 6 AM to make a visit to St. Peter's happen.

Do verify the opening time at St. Peter's before setting your alarm! I believe hours are different on Wednesdays because of the regularly scheduled papal audience.

Posted by
534 posts

Although you may arrive as early as you'd like before your appointment, the attendants at the ticketholders line are usually strict about not allowing entry before the time printed on your ticket. It is highly unlikely, as noted above, that you will be able to exit from the back of the Sistine Chapel to the Basilica. That is for official tour guides only.

I have waited in the line to get into the Basilica many times and, during the daytime in April, can be anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour. It really depends on how many security lines are open (and how many people want to get in, of course). The suggestion to get there early is a good one--or you can visit after the museum and lunch. Once into the Basilica, you can linger as long as you please.