Please sign in to post.

Vatican

Looking for your advice re a visit to the Vatican. Should we book a tour guide or go on our own? Are certain times of the day less busy than others? We will be ther the last week of October.

Posted by
265 posts

This is a question that gets asked time and time again. If you go through all the pages on RS's site you will get all the answers to your question. I'm not trying to be rude, but you will get all the answers. Here goes; http://mv.vatican.va/
Go to the vatican web-site and book your entrance and tour with guide. The only paid section of St. Pete's is the Vatican Museum,which includes the Sistine Chapel. The cathedral (what a church) itself is on free, you just have to wait in line to go through security. Even if you get to the museum early or on time you might have to wait a little. Just go with your printed receipt to the front door and they will guide you on what to do. You might go straight in or be asked to wait in a short line to get in. Don't forget to see the cript under the cathedral. Get ready for a real BIG museum with lots of stairs and what I call "museum legs" experience. To see St. pete's and the museum might take you most of the day.

Posted by
94 posts

My family and I went on our own. We downloaded information on the Vatican. The beginning of the week is slow toward the end of the week it is crazy. We visit twice once in the beginning of our trip and then again toward the end. We went on Wed. and we walked right in no lines. The second time on Friday the lines were around the large circle outside the Vatican. Make sure you are covering your knees and shoulders. Men and Women- I wore a skirt and I had a tee shirt on until I got to where they check and had with me in my bag a covered shirt that I put over. It was warm that day. If you do not have this they will tell you that you can't go in. They turn people away. Sandals are alright to wear.

Posted by
8 posts

I agree with Miguel. I just got back from two weeks in Italy and booked a Vatican tour prior to leaving. Although it may not be as crowded in October. We basically walked right in, although we were not let in until 15 minutes before our scheduled time. I am glad we had a tour as it made navigating the Museum a bit easier. Our guide was very informative and made sure we did not miss the highlights. The Sistine Chapel is absolutely amazing! And be sure to take the stairs to the top of St Peter's Basilica for great views! Dress appropriately...no bare knees or shoulders...for everyone.

Posted by
4152 posts

I always think if it's your first time you should take a tour. The one offered by the vatican is very good and allows you to bypass the lines outside. If you don't wish to take a tour you can rent the audio guide, which is also very good. You can book entry tickets that also allow you to bypass the lines. If you book the guided tour you can exit the Sistine chapel through the "tour door" which is a more direct route to the basilica and you don't have to wait in the security line. Donna

Posted by
1446 posts

I would opt for an organized tour, especially if it's your first visit. The Vatican Museums are SO massive and the tour guide really helps to whittle it down into a nice introduction/overview. Our tour guide told us that if you looked at every piece of art in the Vatican for only 15 seconds, it would take 3 years to see it all! We visited the Vatican in September and the lines were fairly long. We took a 3-hour tour with Presto Tours and enjoyed it immensely. Three hours was enough for me because I was on information overload.

Posted by
8 posts

Yes, (obviously) this will be a first-time visit for me and it has been 20ish years since my husband visited Italy. I'll check out the guided tours recommended. Thank you all for your suggestions. Always good to get advice from some one who has been there, done that.

Posted by
2207 posts

Mary, I'd agree with the crowd - since it's your first time I'd have some form of guide. Or as Donna suggests, at minimum, the audio guide. I've been in there many, many times (as we lived just around the corner from the entrance) and the lines were always worse on Mondays, Saturdays, and days before and after holidays (when the Museums were closed). I usually went in the afternoon and avoided all the lines. Depending on the day of the week, time of the year, and if any holidays are in play, the lines usually die down after lunch. Last entry is 16:00, but I'd not wait that late as there's just too much to see before the Museums close at 18:00. That said, this post may give you some more guidance and info on visiting the Museums - 20 tips on visiting the Vatican Good Luck!