Please sign in to post.

VAT Refund

Hi All. I was in Italy at the end of May and I qualified for a VAT refund on 1 purchase. I did exactly as instructed and got the forms that the store provided me stamped at the airport in Italy and mailed it in the postage paid envelope upon return to the United States. It has been 4 months and I have yet to receive the VAT refuned which was supposed to be put back on my credit card. I assume at this point I will never get it. Has this ever happened to anyone? Did you take any recourse?
What worries me more is that my credit card number was listed on that form.

Thanks!

Posted by
2023 posts

Yes, I had this experience after purchasing some china in a shop in London. I filled out all the forms, etc. stamped & some official added another stamp at Gatwick just before I departed the UK. I never got any VAT refund. Fortunately it was for not more than $50 or so. I think this situation also depends on the honesty of the person at the shop where the item(s) are bought.

Posted by
3603 posts

I remember both a time when the refund never came and a time when it came after many months. On our last few trips there has been an option to take an immediate cash refund. Where this is so, I would always do it. Of course you get somewhat less. However, a bird in hand . . . I doubt that there is any recourse when a refund never appears. Monitor your cc statement or get the bank to close the account and issue you a new number if you think it's necessary.

Posted by
495 posts

I think this situation also depends on the honesty of the person at the shop where the item(s) are bought.

The refund does not come from the shop so their honesty (or lack of) shouldn't come into the equation.

Posted by
2023 posts

The salesperson at the shop has to turn the proper form in and if this does not happen, then all the effort is in vain. This is not exactly honest on the part of the salesperson.

Posted by
508 posts

Joanna - If you kept a copy of the form, then try to contact the VAT refund company. I had the same problem when returning from Spain. I contacted them and ended up faxing a copy of the form with the customs stamp. Within a week my refund showed up.

I also had a small refund from Britain one time that wasn't worth the follow up. The credit showed up 6 months after I sent in the form.

I've also had other VAT refunds never show up. It is kind of a gamble...

Posted by
12 posts

Thanks for all the responses. I had to send the form to N. TAX FREE SPA which then forwards it to the retailer to process the refund. So I guess either the form got lost or the retailer, which was a really nice shoe store in Florence, simply did not process it. Which does surprise me as he said he does process them promptly.

There isn't any contact info for N. TAX FREE SPA for to call or email to see if I can resubmit the form.

Posted by
3 posts

I know this is an old post but when I googled N Tax Free Spa this thread came up. Funny the same thing happened to me. Was it at the Moda in Pelle store in Florence by any chance. I just came back from Ireland and their VAT was effortless. I really feel I've been had and I want to do something about it. Any suggestions?