Please sign in to post.

Varenna to St Moritz

I'll be in Varenna then my plan was making my way to Tirano to take the Bernina Express route to St Moritz. I had originally planned staying one night in Tirano but I now I'm not sure. It seems I can get the earliest train from Varenna at 7.24 and then a connection on at 10am. Or maybe even a little later (8.24 then 11am), the journeys are both available hourly. I know Tirano is not a bit tourist hub and I can't actually remember why I chose to stay the night. I think it may have been because originally I had planned to stay in Como so the train journey to Tirano was going to take longer. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? Thanks.

Posted by
57 posts

In June, I plan to take the Bernina Express to St. Moritz at the tail end of my vacation.

From what I read, Tirano is just the jumping off point to take the Express. I'm leaving early from Milan to Tirano...and taking a 10am Bernina Express to St. Moritz that will get me to St. Moritz for by lunch.

Here's a good article I found: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187849-c181034/Milan:Italy:The.Bernina.Railway.Route.html

I wouldn't stay in Tirano. I'm going to take my time getting to St. Moritz....and will stop off at Diavolezza.

I found a good AirBNB in Pontresina....really close to St. Moritz....and will only spend 1 day getting there and the next day back to Milan.

Posted by
20238 posts

Tirano is a pleasant town, but I would really stay another night in Varenna and take the early train to Tirano from there. Yes, there are frequent "normal" trains to St Moritz. The actual Bernina Express departs at 10:03 and there is a supplemental reservation fee required for that train. It has panorama type cars. Some people like the normal trains better because you can open the windows and get undistorted photos.