Please sign in to post.

Vaporetto pass

We will be staying near the train station in Venice. We will have a total of 2 1/2 days of sight-seeing. Would you recommend a Vaporetto pass, or could we walk to many sights?

Posted by
6898 posts

Vaporetto passes are sold in 12, 24, 36, 48 and 72-hr travel cards. The 36-hr costs 21Euro and the 48-hr. costs 26Eruo. You can buy these visitor travel cards at any Hellovenezia ticket desk. There's one just outside the main train station.

Wherever you are at in Venice, you will find it so convenient to just jump on the vaporetto as they are so frequent and easy. Assuming that the train station vaporetto stop (Ferrovia) is your closest stop, you are 15 stops away from St. Marks on the #1 vaporetto. It's a bit of a walk.

Posted by
3112 posts

I bought the 72 hour pass on my last visit to Venice and got more than my money's worth from it. Even though I walked a lot, it was really convenient to hop on and off a vaporetto whenever I wanted. It paid for itself in about 5 trips. It's also handy when you get lost walking (you will, everyone does) - just follow the signs to the nearest vaporetto and take it to a familar stop. The pass also covered the vaporetto to Murano, Burano and Torcello. It was valid for 72 hours from validation, not until midnight the 3rd day like passes in some cities.

Posted by
3313 posts

You can walk to many places, but the vaporetto makes it easy to get quickly around the islands and across the Grand Canal. Single trips are quite expensive so the passes pay for themselves.

Posted by
37 posts

We also did the 72 hour pass when we were in Venice. It was great for all the previously mentioned reasons. Not to mention that it's great when you want to relax for a bit, you can ride the vaporetto around the island, getting a free tour with lots of locals.

Plus, my husband and I used the vaporetto pass as an excuse to wander all over. We walked away from the tourism into the neighborhoods and parks of the locals. When we were exhausted, we found the nearest stop and rode back. Also, it was record temps when we were there..if it's super hot, you'll tire more easily and want that pass.

Posted by
207 posts

Agree with all of the above. We just returned. We took the 48 hour passes and used them to get to other parts of the area as well. One lunchtime we went to Lido, found a great restaurant near the docks at about 2/3 rds the going rate. The food was fabulous and it was fun being in a non tourist neighborhood. We are "anziani" seniors and loved walking everywhere and hopping on a vaparetto when we needed a break. George, Pittsburgh