Please sign in to post.

vaporetto pass

I take it the pass has to be bought for each individual. I see the adult rate, but is there a child rate (age11). Also if we arrive by train on Thurdsay at 4pm and leave from Venice by train on Monday in the morning -how many hours pass would you buy or is it better just to buy pass for the train transfer , trip to Murano and islands and the twilight ride around the whole canal?

Posted by
1506 posts

We had a similar schedule to yours. We bought a 36 hr pass using it to get to our hotel room via vaporetto and for an evening ride around the canal. Used it the entire next day to get to San Giorgio Maggiore, for Burano and Murano, and for a late afternoon and then an evening vaporetto ride. We just bought single tickets for the vaporetto back to the train station the morning we left. Don't know for sure but it seems children over age 4 pay full fare.

Posted by
20081 posts

My drothers is to spring for a 7 day pass at 50 Euro. If you buy 2 one way tickets at 7 Euro each, and a 24 day pass for 20 Euro, you've spent 34 Euro. For just another 16 Euro, you can go whenever and wherever you want and not think twice about it.

Posted by
1540 posts

I bought the 3 day pass and within 1 1/2 days it paid for the cost of the pass. Individual tickets are really expensive. Here is a link to buy your pass online before you go. Or
I just bought mine at the ticket window for the vaporetti outside the train station in Venice. Very simple...... Venice Connect...

Posted by
7209 posts

As many times as I've been to Venice I've only ever been on the vaporetto on my very first trip. Other than that, I've never had a need for them. Just walk wherever you want to go. It's WAYYYY cheaper and more fun.

Posted by
1994 posts

Since you'll have several days, you might want to explore some of the less commonly visited islands, and a pass makes that feasible. You might want to search internet for islands of the Venitian lagoon and see if any of them appeal to you. Exploring some of the islands provided some favorite memories.

Posted by
3098 posts

well, the vaporetto is the only way to get to the other islands, like Giudecca or Murano. Hard to walk there!

Posted by
1540 posts

The other islands I visited were : Murano, Burano, and the island with the cemetery on it (very interesting). We also rode the Central canal for the Rick Steves book recommended tour of the central canal. Loved them all - It was also nice to be able to hope on the vaporetti to get from one side of Venice to another - just for a change since we also walked
all over. I loved Venice from end to end and top to bottom.

Posted by
11613 posts

The vaporetto pass also comes in handy when you get lost walking around (can happen a lot, love the directional street signs with arrows pointing in opposite directions for the same destination - either route gets you there), without springing for an additional ticket (each ride can be about €7). Another beautiful island is Torcello, furthest away of the main islands but so peaceful). Like a previous poster, my 72-hour pass paid for itself within a day and a half. You need to scan it at every embarkation point.

Posted by
7737 posts

Zoe's point is very important. Unlike, say, the transit passes in Rome, you have to scan the vaporetto pass EVERY SINGLE TIME you ride the vaporetto. It just involves tapping a pad that's on a stand right as you walk onto the small landing area. The only reason I can think of for having this rule is to make it more noticeable if people try to sneak on board without one. But it's definitely enforced.

Posted by
11294 posts

Add me to the chorus of people who get tremendous value from a vaporetto pass. Of course, I walk a lot too, but at €7 a pop for individual vaporetto tickets, it's hard for a pass not to be a bargain. And let me second or third San Michele, the cemetery island. It's fascinating. But there's no shade - even though it wasn't raining when I went, I sure wish I had brought an umbrella!