Please sign in to post.

Vaporetto Pass

Someone suggested using veniceconnected.com to purchase vaporetto passes - that there was a discount. But it looks like the 72 hr pass is 36euros, no matter when you're purchasing for (I'm purchasing for a month away). Also, I don't see where you can buy the youth pass (that you get in conjunction with the rolling venice card). Also, if our train is supposed to get in at 9:40pm and we're leaving 3 mornings later, should we buy a 72 hr pass or a 48 hr + pay for 1 more trip the AM we go to the train? Not sure which would end up being cheaper.

Posted by
11613 posts

Heidi, count on each vaporetto trip costing about 7 euro, and how many trips you plan to make by vaporetto. The pass begins with your first convalidation of the pass. and you must convalidate it for each trip (scans at a little machine just before the boarding area).

Posted by
72 posts

OK, so the 72 hr is definitely better b/c the difference b/w that & 48 hr is only 5 euros. Is 35 euros for 72 hrs a discounted price, does anyone know? Also, do you know how you can get the youth 1 for 18 euros (+where do you get the rolling venice card)?

Posted by
12172 posts

Heidi, I have yet to figure out how to take advantage of youth discounts when purchasing ahead online. We didn't buy Vaporetto passes in Venice, the number of trips we planned to take didn't justify it (we stayed on the main island, so only took a Vaporetto in and out). I didn't try to get a Vaporetto youth pass for my kids but other places in Italy, when we asked for a youth reduction, told us it's only offered for Eurozone residents. Italy is the only place I've ever experienced that restriction on youth discounts.

Posted by
492 posts

There is no discount given buying online these days (tough economy, much lower government subsidies). Validation for advance online purchase starts when the pass is picked up. However, validation starts with first use if purchased in person.

Posted by
23 posts

We just left Venice four days ago.. Just but the pass on your first trip from the machine.. The convience of having the pass is absolutely worth it, whether or not you use enough tips.

Posted by
7 posts

I wholeheartedly agree with buying the pass. I was there for four days (five including the ride out early on the last morning) and I got the 7 day pass (I think it jumps from 3 days to 7 days). It was worth every Euro. I love boat rides and used the bejeezus out of that pass. Once you have the pass you can jump on any vaporetto and go wherever. You don't have to worry about missing a stop and taking another trip. It just gives you more freedom and less worries and that's what a vacation is all about. - Jim

Posted by
3 posts

If you purchase in advance (online) where do you pick up the pass? I was hopeing to purchase online in advance to save aggravation but don't want to actually start using the pass until my second day in Venice. Can the passes be picked up at any stop or must you go to an office to pick up? We will be staying very near San Marco if that helps to know.

Posted by
11613 posts

You can buy the vaporetto pass at the Santa Lucia train station, the clock starts the first time you use it. There's probably a kiosk at the Marco Polo airport as well, but I'm not sure.

Posted by
23 posts

The pass is easy to buy at any vaperetto stop. Just get there a few minutes early for your first trip. Machine is easy and takes cash or credit cards. The onvience of the pass is absolutely worth it. Still in Iraly, Rone, after 4 delivhtful days in Venice.

Posted by
32757 posts

Profp the disadvantage with buying them online is that the clock starts when you collect it. Even if you don't use it for 2 days you will lose time from it all the time after you pick it up. When you buy one from the booth (or shed) it waits until the first time you use it by swiping it at the dock before you get on the boat. Now that there is no advantage to getting it online I always buy mine when I get off the train.