Please sign in to post.

Validating Train Tickets

Hello, my family and I will be in Italy in a few weeks. It's been a few years since I last visited, but I do remember that you need to validate Reginale train tickets. My question is, I have already purchased my train tickets which each one ca.e with a transfer to a Reginale transfer. Can I get my ticket validated before our transfer or do we have to validate them at the transfer station? Thank you.

Posted by
5687 posts

If you've already purchased them, then they are for a specific time and date already - so no need to validate them.

If you buy a regional train ticket at a station (from a machine or from an agent at a ticket counter), then those tickets must be validated.

FYI, there is no real benefit to buying regional train tickets in advance like this, except perhaps saving you the trouble of buying them later. They cost the same buying them in advance as buying them 15 minutes before departure - and because these trains have no reserved seats, they can't sell out. You won't get a better seat buying them in advance. The big reason not to buy them in advance? A last-minute change of plans. If you decide to travel to another city or on a different day or something, then you are stuck with those tickets and probably need to throw them again and buy new ones.

Posted by
8129 posts

The e-tickets that you buy online print at home or display on a mobile do not need validating.
The conductor scans the QR code on that

Posted by
32331 posts

Raymond,

"I have already purchased my train tickets which each one ca.e with a transfer to a Reginale transfer."

I wasn't able to determine a meaning from this statement. Could you clarify?

If you've now purchased E-tickets for all your rail journeys, the Regionale tickets are pre-validated and can be used for any departure within four hours of the stated time on the ticket.

As it's been a few years since you were last in Italy, just a reminder that tickets for Freccia and Intercity trains are specific to train, date and departure time and can only be used on the one train listed on the ticket. If you board the wrong train by mistake, you'll be subject to hefty fines.

Posted by
168 posts

Thank you. Yes, when we choose a route from 1 station to where we are going, it automatically came with a transfer on a regional train. I know that we don't get a discount price for them in advance but it since they came up with our trip, I just went ahead and bought them. I knew that regional trains required a validation but I wasn't sure if you still needed to if you bought them in advance. Thank you again.