Please sign in to post.

Validating train tickets

Hello experienced train travellers in Italy!
Thank you in advance for your help! I now know I will buy my future tickets thru Trenitalia but as a newbie I bought train tickets for Sept/24 already from Trainline.
1) If I have these digital tickets now in a wallet on my phone do I just show them to conductor or do I have to validate them before getting on train. If so how do I validate them?
2) Because I bought tickets from Trainline do I have to check in on day of ride and how do I do that?
Thanks so much!

Posted by
543 posts

I am not sure about Italy, but I just traveled in other countries with a "digital ticket" and there was a button on the app to click to validate that the conductor looked for. It's like the old paper ticket when you stamped it, I guess this makes the digital ticket unable to be used again in the future. It was easy and the conductor looked at it and moved on.

Posted by
23319 posts

With the exception of Regionale trains, you ticket is ONLY good for a certain train, at a certain time, with an assigned seat so there is no validation. Just show it to the conductor. Regionale tickets have a valid time window -- generally four hours so as long as you are travel in the right direction within the time window you are fine.

Posted by
1128 posts

do you have an assigned seat on a specific train? If so, just show to the conductor. Your ticket is good just on that train and for that seat (unless you change the reservation) so no need to validate.

If instead it just shows a train time but not an assigned seat you are on a Regionale train. Trainline has info on their website on how to validate that ticket, and you need to do so after 12:01am on the day you are traveling.

Posted by
8 posts

Thank you everyone for your responses! Very very helpful! My tickets are for specific day/time and have assigned seats so now I understand I dont have to validate them. I thought I read somewhere that with trainline tickets you still had to check in on the day of the ride?

Posted by
658 posts

I have no experience with trainline but on one of my highspeed trains recently on my trenitalia app I had the possibility to check in on the app just like I do with the regional trains. First time for me.

Posted by
23319 posts

Trainline is a travel agency and not a train company. I prefer to buy my tickets directly from trenitalia -- the Italian National Rail system.

Posted by
1219 posts

Hi travelit. I've used both trenitalia and Trainline for tickets and both work well. You said you have assigned seats.
If so, no need to validate or check in. The conductor will come around to your seats and have a computer with your ticket info; they will just ask you to verify it by showing your ticket info. Have a great trip.