Please sign in to post.

Urbino

Dear wonderful Rick Steves Travel Forum people: What are your favorite things to do in Urbino?

Posted by
3603 posts

The Palazzo Ducale, of course. In addition to the wonderful art collection, the palace, itself, especially the duke’s study, is marvelous.

Posted by
2186 posts

Urbino was the first place my husband and I ever visited in Europe (1999). We were there for two weeks for a music course. We fell in love and returned a couple of times, the last 20 years ago. But I would say: Wander the streets of the town. Huff up Via Raffaello to the park at the top and continue to the Parco della Resistenza. Walk across the top of the Porta Valbona. Walk out on Viale Fratelli Rosselli for the views. (If you have a car, you could drive out there, but we didn't have that choice!) Visit the oratorios. Peek into the Teatro Sanzio if it’s open. Patronize Ido and Ado’s Piccolo Bar, Via Veneto, 34 - we fell in love with them too.

With this being the first time we encountered Italian pizza and panna cotta, we enjoyed Taverna degli Artisti and 3piante restaurants.

We're not usually shoppers, but the gift shop Castelli in Aria at Via Raffaello, 59, is not to be missed. The things we purchased there are favorites to this day.

I've googled to find that all these establishments still seem to be going strong. Our local friends' favorite restaurant, Ragno d’Oro, Viale Don Minzoni, 2-4, appears to be temporarily closed but may open in summer 2023.

Happy travels!

Edited to add: My husband was born in Montrose and lived there for almost 70 years until we moved to Boise!

Posted by
64 posts

Thank you so much for your replies. It means a lot to me. It's our last overseas trip and I want to be a flaneur extraordinaire.