Please sign in to post.

Underground Colosseum Tour

I am trying to figure out which ticket to book to visit the underground part of the Colosseum. Is this (https://www.coopculture.it/en/products/the-wonders-of-the-colosseum-visiting-the-underground-and-the-arena/) the best one that includes the underground and a tour guide? The duration here is I assume for time with the tour guide only. And we can explore a bit more on our own after that duration? Thank you so much for your help. All these ticketing options are very confusing.

Posted by
1658 posts

I looked back to see which one we did last fall, and it was the Full Experience Tour. I think the "Wonders" one is more of a guided tour, if that's what you want. However, for the one we did, the guide who accompanied us did give us some information, history, and background, and she did also accompany us to the upper areas and give us some info there, too, after which we were able to explore on our own (but not the underground. The underground can be visited ONLY with a guide.)

Posted by
8415 posts

It is very difficult to get an underground colosseum tour ticket. Even if you get a reservation with a tour company other than getting a coopculture ticket, there is about a 50% chance you will receive a last minute cancellation when they discover they were not able to actually get the tickets.

The method for releasing tickets changed during the past year and tour companies found themselves often struggling to get tickets for their tours. Some companies simply don't offer the tours any more, others wait until the last minute when they know they have tickets, and others sell the tours hoping that they can get tickets.

Posted by
8 posts

Carol, I think the tickets for my dates are not yet released. But my question is actually about the correct type of ticket to reserve. Do you have any idea if the one I linked is the right now? Thanks.

Posted by
74 posts

Yes, that's the right ticket. The DIDACTIC VISIT is a guided visit and the only official Coopculture ticket with a guide and underground at the moment. As it does not include a tour of the Forum, I believe it leaves you to explore after the tour. Perhaps someone else can confirm.

Its the same ticket that I am trying to buy when my dates come up (30 days ahead). These tickets were booking out in 5 min over summer, but appear to have slowed down lately, which is great news for us.

Just before C19, I enjoyed a great tour that included the underground and top-level (newly opened) with That Roman Guy Tours.
Our guide was very knowledgeable and excellent.

No cancellations or any problems at all.

Good luck!