Please sign in to post.

Umbria base

I know this question is asked often. I have read every post and YouTube videos and keep getting drawn back to Spello.

Hubby and I will be going to Italy in advance of a cruise departing from Rome mid October. We’ve been to Italy many times, but not Umbria.

I have read all of the reviews about the train station in Spello being a bit of a hike from town. Should I let this deter me from basing in Spello? We will not have a car.

Also, if any of you have hotel recommendations, I would appreciate that too.

Thanks for your help.

Posted by
11218 posts

We spent two wonderful weeks in Spello and highly recommend it as a base in Umbria. You may want to reconsider renting a car. It would be hard to explore Umbria or Tuscany without a car.
We never used the Spello train but I don’t recall it being far from the bottom of this hill town.

Posted by
548 posts

Thanks Suki. Where did you stay in Spello?

Posted by
1131 posts

I would instead stay in Perugia which has a Minimetro system to get you from the train station up to the hilltown. If you hoof it in Spello you're going to be doing a fair amount of uphill walking. We stayed in Spello once and enjoyed it but had a car; the old town has few flat sections, it's uphill both ways ;-)

It's been a few years since we've been in Perugia but at that time they didn't have the modern train ticket machines with an English menu, so I recommend installing and using the Trenitalia app on your phone. You'll need wifi service in Italy if you buy Regionale tickets on the app since when the conductor comes around to check you need data service to bring them up.

Posted by
380 posts

I adore Spello and think it’d be a great choice! I stayed at La Bastiglia (hotel with restaurant at top of town with a gorgeous small pool) for 3 nights in June a few years ago. The outdoor dining for breakfast has fabulous views. I took a taxi from station to hotel when I arrived, but walked (carry-on only) back/downhill to station when leaving. It is a classic hill town so it is somewhat steep, but there are also a lot of steps. One day I walked to Assisi - about 7 miles, and took train back. I’d love to return one day.

Posted by
755 posts

I seem to be one of the few people that wasn’t taken with Spello. I visited there by train while I was staying in Perugia, which was very convenient for a lot of surrounding towns that I wanted to visit. I would not want to stay in Spello with or without a car.

Posted by
2026 posts

We’ve never been to Spello but stayed in Perugia without a car and were able to access many places by train or bus. The Tourist Information office was very helpful in suggestions and transportation advice. We stayed in the Hotel Sant’Ercolano…not fancy, but pleasant stay and near the mini metro. Safe travels.

Posted by
15266 posts

I mentioned Assisi and Spello because of the central location and the proximity to the freeways, which makes them perfect for day trips by car, although I prefer to stay in Assisi as Spello is a bit too small for my taste as a base.
Perugia makes the best base if one relies on public transportation, as it is the regional capital city and the transportation hub. It is not a village however does not have a small village vibe (it is a decent size college city with lots of students), and it is not very car friendly, therefore I would not choose to stay there with a car.

Posted by
7688 posts

We had a week in Umbria planned for this year but had to cancel for medical reasons. We were going to stay in Perugia.