Please sign in to post.

Uber in Rome?

My husband and I are only going to be in Rome for a couple of days, so we're splurging on getting from place to place. Does Uber exist in Rome or di they have a different ride hailing app? Are we better off just looking for taxi stands? If we are taking cabs, should we pay in cash or can we use credit cards?

Thanks!

Greer

Posted by
4853 posts

If memory serves correctly, one can't just hail a cab - one must go to a cab stand. It seems that awhile back someone posted about an app that showed the location of the taxi stands, but I can't seem to locate it just now.
We've always just paid the fare in cash as that was the most hassle free way.

Posted by
6078 posts

Uber works differently in Rome.
A search of this forum will bring up some threads about it.

We just take cabs- they are not too expensive. Have your hotel call for one or go to a taxi stand. They can be found near every major sight/monument.
Here is a list:
https://www.livitaly.com/find-taxi-stands-rome/

They are all supposed to take credit cards but check before you get in! The rides we have taken have all been about 10 euros so we usually just pay cash- that way we have control.

We've really only taken to/from train station and over to Vatican.
Rome is very walkable- as long as you are staying somewhere in the historic center you can walk most anywhere. We prefer the area near Pantheon/P Navonna/Campo de' Fiori.