Please sign in to post.

Uber in Rome?

Anybody use it? I was curious, looks like they have lots of cars active...thanks!

Posted by
62 posts

actually it's not the regular Uber that's working - only Uber Black/ Uber Lux/ Uber Van are active services as of right now, due to a pending civil lawsuit by the taxi unions (oversimplifying here). And even those get fined on the regular.

Posted by
15269 posts

As explained above, only Uber Black is allowed, after a court decision in June 2015.

Uber Black is a black limo service operated by professional licensed limo drivers on luxury vehicles.

The type of Uber service available elsewhere, where the typical Joe Doe signs up with Uber and uses his car to transport passengers around, is not permitted in Italy after that court decision which upheld that that type of public service can be carried out only by licensed professional car service drivers in possession of an NCC professional license (NCC stands for Noleggio Con Conducente, i.e. Car Hire with Driver).

Due to the nature of the service provided by Uber Black, you will be traveling in style, but you won't save money over using a regular taxi.

Posted by
1625 posts

We used Uber all over Rome, it was my first time ever using it. We usually just used it to get picked up from our apartment and the car was usually a Black Mercedes with a description of the driver and I could read reviews. I don't remember how much we paid but it was not a lot?? There was a time it was raining very hard and Uber was charging 3X as much and had zero availability. Once we were out and about we would just find a taxi stand.

Posted by
792 posts

we used the regular Rome taxi when we were there. In the evening the driver would pull up to a red light, and if there was no cross traffic, he just blew through it. It was a quick ride.

Posted by
1446 posts

Used it tonight for first time and yes, only Uber Black and higher are available here (currently in Rome). The car came within 10 minutes and the driver was very professional and wore a suit. Worked out well and cost was a bit more than a taxi (about 2 euros more) but we were in an area where we couldn't find a taxi stand and it was after dark. You can't hail a taxi here as in other cities; you have to find a designated taxi stand. The other advantage is that the car was more comfortable and air conditioned whereas taxi drivers (in our experience) don't use the A/C and right now it's extremely hot and humid here in Rome! I would use Uber again without hesitation.