Please sign in to post.

Uber in Rome?

Hi,

Has anyone used uber while traveling in rome? I think the cheapest uber option is banned, but uber black is still used. are there a lot of uber cars around?

btw, I also read that in italy, u have to get a taxi at a taxi stand, u can't just wave down a taxi like US. But i also read that people have waved down taxis in italy. So exactly how do u get a taxi in italy?

Thanks

Posted by
290 posts

I don't know regarding Uber in Rome, if it is like Milan, there are so few cars that it is not worth it, it takes too long for them to arrive and the price is higher due to high demand...

Regarding the taxis, yes you have to either go to a taxi stand (there are many, and near all attractions, stations etc) or call them. You cannot hail taxis, maybe if you hail one and you're in luck and the driver just dropped someone and it hasn't arrived to the taxi stand, it will stop for you, but to avoid standing there a long time waving at taxis, go to the taxi stands or call! (or use Apps, there are a few).

Posted by
11613 posts

Taxi stand or call them - or ask your hotel front desk to call for you if you need one first thing. Taxi stands are near every major sight in Roma.

Posted by
15269 posts

Uber Pop is not allowed in Italy.
Uber Black is black limo service operated by licensed professional black limo companies/individuals. They are more expensive than the regular taxi cabs.
You can wave taxis in the streets, but taxi will stop only if they just dropped off a customer and they are on their way to a taxi stand. In most cases however, the taxis traveling in the streets in Italy either have a client aboard already or, if they are empty, they are on their way to pick up a customer to which they were radio dispatched.

It's not the practice of Italian taxis to just cruise around town looking for a hailing customer. Italians rarely hail taxis and gasoline is too expensive for taxis to just cruise around. You will save a lot of time if you call, use the taxi app, or if you walk to a nearby stand rather than hope to see a taxi that just dropped a customer and is driving empty to a stand.