Please sign in to post.

Uber in Rome?

Has anyone used Uber in Rome since it the regulatory ban was lifted in April? I'm considering it as an option for getting around town since taxis can be hard to find.

Posted by
7049 posts

It's easy enough to get around by foot in Rome. Taxis did not seem hard to find if you need one. I cannot help with Uber because, IMHO, they're an ethically bankrupt business I wouldn't use even if it was the last choice (read up a bit on them and their business culture and practices - it's been all over the news for months).

Posted by
15269 posts

Uber Black is the only service allowed.
It's a luxury black limo service operated by professional licensed drivers aboard luxury cars (Mercedes type). Joe Blow driving his own car for Uber is not permitted in Italy.
Uber Black, being a more upscale service, is more expensive than regular taxicabs, particularly during Uber surge pricing.
Taxis in Rome are not hard to find. Italians don't hail taxis in the street, so that is not a good way to get one. If you see an empty taxi driving around, he's probably on his way to pick up someone, therefore they won't stop if you hail them. The best way is to call them, or walk to a taxi stand.

Posted by
752 posts

Taxis are not hard to find in Rome. If you're at or near Termini, walk to Piazza del Cinquecento at the north end of Termini where the buses gather and you'll see many long aisles of taxis just outside the doors. And there are taxi stands dotted all over the city. You may not be able to hail a taxi on the street, but be assured that a taxi stand is nearby.

Posted by
11613 posts

Taxi stands are near every major monument. They do not cruise for fares, so you won't have much luck trying to hail one.

Posted by
131 posts

It's easy for my husband and I to get around Rome on foot, but we are traveling with our kids, and our nine-year-old will inevitably get tired, so I want options in a pinch. We won't necessarily be at major monuments when he poops out and needs a ride, so I want to try to see what options are available. I was pleased to see that the Uber ban was lifted a few weeks after it began. Interesting about it only being Uber Black. I use that sometimes when I travel in the US but, yes, it is more expensive than the regular. But since we need room for five, it might be the best way to go.

Thanks, Robert, for the link.

Posted by
3812 posts

Interesting about it only being Uber Black

Uber Pop was declared illegal years ago, the ongoing trial is about Uber Black.

Posted by
11 posts

I'm not familiar with the ban you reference or the impact of lifting it. I can say, however, that I used Uber last May in Rome and it was a Godsend. My husband and I used Uber to get to our Vatican tour. Once we arrived at the check in, my husband realized that he left his bag, which had my camera and his GoPro in it, in the Uber. I was able to contact the driver and he came back to the drop off point and delivered the bag. There's no way we would have gotten his bag back had we been in a taxi. Something to think about!

Posted by
11613 posts

DTXgirl, I disagree. A friend left her camera in a taxi, the dispatcher tracked down the cab, and the camera was returned.