Please sign in to post.

Two weeks in Italy

I am planning a two week trip to Italy in either early august or mid September. I just started doing research on places to go and see, and boy is it overwhelming with the amount of things to do in such little time. Anyone that has taken a trip to Italy have any suggestions or an itinerary? Starting and Rome and would like to end in Rome. Are the major cities worth it or better to go to the less populated places to get a better feel for it. Anything would be helpful. I plan to use trains to get around.

Posted by
4217 posts

I can't tell you where to go--I'm like a kid in a candy store and never have any trouble choosing places to go, but I can advise you to go in September over August. In addition to heat, there is the conundrum of August being crowded but a lot of Italians also being on vacation.
Don't decide on flights until you nail it down--you might end up finding an open jaw flight is better.
Keep reading, and some places will stick out.

Posted by
4616 posts

Have you already reviewed the RS Guide books, watched the RS videos, and looked at the RS Tour itineraries just to get a feel/outline of what interests you?
Right now, your question is too general for us here on the Forum to be much help.
Would you consider open jaw flights?
Can you handle crowds? Do you prefer outdoor vs indoor activities, etc? We do better with specific questions.
Good luck!

Posted by
79 posts

HI Bridgey2k8
You will find that after this first two weeks you will be wanting to return!

What interests you about Italy? Art, music, architecture, the food, the landscape, history? If you decide what is most important to you, that might help narrow your choices down. And realize, the whole country is full of the aforementioned. BTW...you could easily spend your two weeks entirely in Rome and environs and not be bored.

I suggest you look at some guidebooks, do some online research, watch some YouTube videos, decide if you want to spend all your time in cities, or want to break it up a bit. You have lots of options. One thing I would warn against, is trying to see it all in this one vacation. If you actually have 12 days on the ground, try not to move around too much. It takes up valuable vacation time moving constantly from hotel to hotel, town to town, finding train stations, etc. If you in fact, have 12 days...I would only move once, twice at most from place to place. That way, you could really relax and enjoy a place. If you use Rome as your base, you can sightsee there, move to another "base" and visit nearby sights without moving all the time. The "base" of course, depends on your interests.

I will be back in Italy this fall, for my 8th or 9th time, and can't wait to see new places I haven't visited.

Posted by
11033 posts

You can use the "Itinerary" here -- https://www.ricksteves.com/tours/italy/venice-florence-rome -- as an outline and add days to each to suit your interests and easily fill your 2 weeks.

Depending on what you finally decide, it may be more efficient to fly into one city ( e.g. Venice) and out from Rome.

A r/t through Rome has the drawback of back tracking.

Definitely mid Sept vs early Aug

Posted by
274 posts

My general suggestion would be - don't try to do it all! Italy has both the advantage and drawback of being very overwhelming because practically everywhere sounds (and is) wonderful. But if you try to do everything, you'll end up getting a feel for nothing. I've spent a combined total of 10 months (including a 6 month study abroad in Florence) in Italy over the past 15 years and still haven't even been south of Rome. For some, that's unthinkable, but for me - I know I'll get to Amalfi and Naples and Sicily one day, and I'm not worried about it.

I'd recommend reading a few guidebooks to get a basic overview of the different regions and their "personalities". Obviously I'm biased, because, well, I am on the Rick Steves forum - but I greatly prefer Rick's guidebooks for first-time visits because he prioritizes cities and his itineraries make sense based on geography and length of time. My complaint with him is that he moves around too much for me - I prefer to stay places for at least four nights. But otherwise, I like them a lot. Once you have a general idea of what you want to see, it will be easier to nail down the specifics.

Posted by
159 posts

I second the recommendations of flying open jaw. My wife and I are doing the My Way Italy in 13 Days Tour in late Sept. We are flying into Venice (by way of AMS) and flying out of Rome (also via AMS). That itinerary can also give you an idea of places to visit since you'll be on a similar time frame.

Posted by
374 posts

I’m currently in Paris spending some time in Italy next week here is my itinerary.

4n Cinque Terre
4n Rome
6n Sorrento (lots of day trips and rest day)
2n Naples (Paestum)
2n Venice

I like the outdoors and don’t like art museums. I’m also not going to rent a car so I skipped a lot of Tuscany and regions of Italy best served by private car.

Posted by
105 posts

September in Italy is definitely the preferred month, less heat, less crowds but still very comfortable and even a little hot.

I would think most would agree that Rome needs to be a priority if this is your first visit, you can spend months there and not be bored. As others have queried, from there what are your interests? Wine, Food, history, art, nature, etc.?

The RS community is a treasure trove of usually thoughtful advice and recommendations once you narrow down your adventure's goals.

For me, planning is half the fun! Get ready for a trip you will never forget.

Posted by
2923 posts

How about sleeping in Venice (three nights), Florence (four nights), Cinque Terre (two nights) and Rome.
When you arrive in Rome take a train from the airport to the Venice S. Lucia station (end of line / 5h) that requires a change. Take a direct train from Venice to the Florence SM Novella station (2h 15m).
While in Florence take a day trip by direct bus to Siena (1h 15m). When you’re ready to depart Florence take a train to Vernazza that requires a change (3h). From Vernazza take a train to Rome’s Termini station that also requires a transfer (4h 30m).

Posted by
1 posts

Last September we took our first trip to Italy. We flew into Rome for four nights, then three in Cinque Terre, two in Lucca, four in Florence and three in Venice (flying out of Venice). I'd echo the others who urged you to look for open jaw flights if possible. We like walking, whether in cities or hiking, art museums and historic sites. I thought this trip had a pretty good balance of those things, for what it's worth, as an intro to Italy sort of trip. From my point of view the larger cities - Rome, Florence, Venice - are very much worth visiting and you can get some sense of place even with the many tourists. We did not rent a car and took trains, which was very conventient and saved on expense, but limited our ability to explore Tuscany (though it's very possible to bus or train to some sites from Florence). Other areas we considered included Naples, Pompeii and the Amalfi coast, Lake Como, a bit more of Tuscany and the Dolomites, but a slightly restrained itinerary led to a fairly relaxed trip. Best of luck with your planning!

Posted by
15560 posts

Assume you will return. My preferred plan, especially for a first-timer, is to begin in Venice and end in Rome. Venice is relatively quiet and slow-paced and it doesn't have any really major sights. It's the perfect town to get over jetlag and soak up the atmosphere. Wander the back canals, sit at a sidewalk cafe and people-watch, ride the vaporetto along the Grand Canal and let her beauty glide past you. Rome is the opposite: a major metropolis with more major sights than you can absorb in a week, bustling, noisy, crowded and confusing.

If you can't find open-jaw flights into Venice and out of Rome, try Milan-Rome. From the Milan airport you have choices: spend a day/night in Milan, take the train to Verona for an overnight on the way to Venice or take the train right to Venice. I would spend at least nights 2 and 3 in Venice, no matter where you stay on night 1.

There are lots of places easily visited by train between Venice and Rome. It depends so much on what your interests are. For instance, if you love Renaissance painting, sculpture, architecture, you'll want 3 days in Florence. If not, 1 day to see the highlights is fine. Bologna is a pleasant town with a few minor sights and an excellent rail hub. You can spend several nights there and day trip to small historic towns: Ravenna (exquisite early Byzantine churches and mosaics), Ferrara, Modena, Padua, Parma are some of the more familiar ones. Or you can day trip from Florence to Siena, Pisa, Lucca.

Posted by
94 posts

We'll be in Italy for the month of October as we've always wanted to experience Tuscany in the Fall! If there's one lesson we've learned on our few trips to Europe it's this: Wander and take it slow. "Check list," travelling impresses no one, especially yourself, and stresses you and everyone else out. Pick, prioritize and then allow beautiful spontaneity to arise from the structure you've set in place.

Have an amazing time!!!

Posted by
71 posts

Arriving in Venice is a great plan, if possible.
It’s easy to get into town and easy to connect to a fast train to other cities.

Rome is a great city to visit and so much to see and do. I’m sure you have some top destinations to visit in Rome.
I would try and fit in a small town in Umbria or Tuscany to spend two or three nights. I love Assisi - a very calming place. (From Rome there is a nonstop morning train).
Modena is quiet charming, as well.
I prefer to return home to the U.S. from Florence (the airport is about a 20 minute/25€ taxi ride). The city has a small town feel - you can be very busy or just relax.
Are you interested in art, shopping, historical focus or someone who is a foodie?
Happy Travels.