Please sign in to post.

Tuscany without a car

My wife and I have 9 days to spend in Italy at the end of September. We would like to visit Cinque Terre (CT) and Tuscany but do not want to rent a car. CT I understand would be no problem, but can we spend 4 days in Tuscany without a car?

Posted by
425 posts

Of course!!!! Here are towns in Tuscany which can easily be reached by bus or train: Florence, Prato, Pistoia, Montecatini, Lucca, Viareggio, Livorno, Pisa, Grosseto, Pitigliano, Siena, San Gimignano, Volterra, Arezzo, Cortona, Chiusi, Chianciano Terme, Montepulciano, and others. Will that occupy you for four days???!!!!

Posted by
1317 posts

You don't say where else in Italy you are going, but Orvieto, while technically in Umbria and not Tuscany, is a delightful little town on top of a cliff. It's on the slower rail line between Rome & Florence.

Lucca is also a delightful town.

Posted by
1449 posts

We've done Tuscany and Umbria by train. A car is more convenient, but you can definitely get around by train (and inter-city bus if you're a little more adventurous, but you can get help at the TI booth in most towns). Generally you take the train to the station at the bottom of the hilltown, and local tranportation to the top. You could also go on scheduled tours of a region such as the wine country.

Posted by
3551 posts

Easy I have done the hilltowns around Siena(my Base)by bus. Just be aware of the schedules carefully as many buses are few in evening/night hrs.

Posted by
29 posts

We stayed in Florence and Cinque Terre last year without a car. In Florence we did a day trip to Siena (Bus), Montalcino (wine tour), etc. I am not sure I would want to drive in Italy - yikes!