Please sign in to post.

Tuscany without a car?

Is it possible to get around in Tuscany without a car? 4 people, staying in Rome 3 days, then heading to Florence/Tuscany by bus/train. We want to go to Siena, etc. and would rather not rent a car but I don't want to limit ourselves too much by only taking public transportation. Would we be missing out on a lot of the charm of Tuscany by just sticking to where we can get by bus?
Thanks!

Posted by
10344 posts

Your 1st question: "Is it possible to get around in Tuscany without a car?"

Yes, of course it's possible. Nobody is going to come on here and say it's impossible to see Tuscany without a car.

But most people here rent cars for the Tuscany part of their trip, 75% or more rent cars (we don't keep stats, that's a guess).

But some do use public transportation to get around Tuscany.

And most use train to initially get to certain destinations in Tuscany; for example, train is the best way to get from Rome to Florence. And bus is the best way to get from Florence to Siena (better than the train).

The answer to your 2nd question gets more complicated. Your 2nd question is:

"but I don't want to limit ourselves too much by only taking public transportation. Would we be missing out on a lot of the charm of Tuscany by just sticking to where we can get by bus?"

The accurate answer to that question is probably not what you're hoping to hear: Yes, you will be limiting yourselves somewhat by only going in Tuscany to places you can get to by bus or train.

I think someone who says: no, taking the bus in Tuscany does not limit you, has probably not used a car to enjoy the efficiency and flexibility that only a rental car can give you for exploring Tuscany hill towns.

It will also take you longer to get around by bus, so you won't see as many things as you could see with a car.

Tuscany bus service is limited on Sundays and other Italian holidays.

Bottom line: Yes, not having a car will limit you somewhat in exploring the Tuscany hill towns. Most people, on this board, rent a car to enjoy the flexibility it gives in exploring the Tuscany countryside and hilltowns.

Posted by
112 posts

Hi Betsy, I have done Tuscany without a car and still managed to have a memorable time. In both Sienna and Florence there are plenty of tour services that have day trips to other parts of Tuscany, they will usually include at least one wine tasting. It's not as flexible as having one's own car, but it is a good option and still fun.

Posted by
536 posts

Betsy - After travelling Italy for many years I can tell you one thing - RENT A CAR and see all the wonderful sights of Tuscany at your own pace. From the Hilltowns to the countryside loaded with flowers to the quaint cafes and restaurants you'll see as you drive through ancient villages you won't want to be on someone else's schedule.
If you're worried about getting lost don't be - take your GPS with you but get european maps for it from the manufacturer - inexpensive.
Have fun and enjoy Tuscany
Ciao, Greg
And Betsy - Brett Favre playing for the Vikings - OMG!!!!!

Posted by
1170 posts

There are companies that do bus excursions of various types and destinations into the Tuscan countryside. A little bit of "Googling" and research should yield results. I've driven Tuscany and it does require a GPS to navigate the roundabouts and poorly marked roads. The next time I go, I might go the bus route just so that I can sit back and relax and enjoy the view instead of "whiteknuckling' it on the Italian roadways.

Posted by
1449 posts

Depends on what you want to do. If you want to visit wineries or the countryside, then a car is helpful but you can find tour companies as well. If you want to visit hilltowns in Tuscany/Umbria many are reachable by train; you go to the station at the foot of the hilltown, then take a local bus up. We've done this in many places such as Perugia, Cortona, etc. Also if you go to the TI office then can help you with figuring out bus transportation which is more extensive and frequent than the trains.

Posted by
98 posts

I was in Florence in July and we saw Tuscany without a car. It would have been better with a car but we knew for sure we didn't want to drive. Overall, our experience with public transportation was great. You just need to allow more time; that's all.

We actually devoted three days on daytrips from Florence into the region.
- one day, we took the train to Lucca
- another day, we took the bus to San Gimiglano
- another day, we took the bus to Volterra

We also did one daytrip from Florence to Siena by bus.

The bus station is close to the train station. Just get the bus schedule early so you can plan on what time to leave in the morning and which bus to take home in the evening.

Posted by
3112 posts

I've visited Tuscany with and without a car, and have had greats trips both ways. A car significantly increases your options and may not cost much more than public transportation for 4 people. Without a car, you'll need to be content to linger in smaller towns such as Volterra and your side trips, even from larger towns like Florence and Siena, will be limited to those places conveniently connected by bus or train. If you want the freedom to explore, go for the car. If focusing on fewer places would be OK, you can still have a great Tuscan experience without one.