Please sign in to post.

Tuscany, where to stay?

2 couples with rental car.
We are going to be in Italy for 8 days, focusing at least 3 full days in Rome (Flying into).
I am trying to find a decent place (2 nights) with a view, for our Tuscany experience, near Siena. Also hoping to find a less traveled on vineyard to tour and taste.

Posted by
10248 posts

We will be staying at Agriturismo Marciano, located just outside of Siena. It is a winery and they also produce olive oil. It comes highly recommended by people on this helpline and on Trip Advisor.

Posted by
22 posts

We were in Italy early June, and had the pleasure of wine tasting at Tenuto Torciano http://www.torciano.com/giachi-wine-club/eng/winetasting.htm which I highly recommend. It's small, with just two groups of four tasting at a time, and the "light" brunch was anything but! The Nonna's lasagne was to die for!!! and then, when the Truffle Olive Oil was poured on top -- HEAVEN!! The recipes are on the website. Very personable, family run vineyard & lots of fun. You can order wines, oils, etc and have it sent to your home in the USA. This was one of our favorite days in Tuscany.

Posted by
32219 posts

Ed,

You might also have a look at This Hotel which is in a good location, close to a Spa and provides parking. It's not an Agriturismo, but I stayed there recently and would certainly recommend the Hotel.

Happy travels!

Posted by
1446 posts

Here's a second vote for Agriturismo Marciano, in Siena. Stayed there in September of last year and loved it. The agriturismo experience is unique and we found it to be very enjoyable. The optional dinners at Agrit. Marciano are incredible and not to be missed. Here's the website: www.agriturismomarciano.it

Posted by
3696 posts

I stayed in the very tiny village of San Donato a few years ago (not really a town, just a church and a few small buidings, and a winery) but with a fabulous view and just a few miles from San Gimi. I stayed at a small b&b Antica Dimora, but there was another place next door that was also a winery and hotel that I will go to next time. It was quiet and when I arrived in the village there were lots of artists painting the countryside. Like a scene from a movie! I am a photographer so I was enthralled by the place. I think there are some pictures of it on my website at www.terrykathrynlawrence.com I will check further and find the name of the other hotel and post it later. It was a magical place. (Of course, all of Italy is) I have been many times but this is one of those special places.

Posted by
1589 posts

Pistoia, a charming small city of about 90,000, is a 20 minute train ride from Florence. It is on the main train line heading over toward Pisa, Lucca and the CT area.