Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Weather

We’re planning a trip to Tuscany and are thinking the dates to be the last week of June and the first week of July. From our research we’re finding the weather to be hot in July but is it really hot that first week of July or is the weather similar to that of July? Are we picking two bad weeks to travel there?

Posted by
11147 posts

We had beautiful weather, warm but not hot, the last week of June a few years ago.

Posted by
27092 posts

To take a look at the range of weather you may experience during your proposed travel period, go to the website timeanddate.com and check the day-by-day historical weather statistics for late June and early July 2019, 2018, 2017, etc. The data goes back about ten years. I've linked to Florence's stats for June 2019, and it looks really bad: The last week of the month shows daily high temperatures of 93F, 95F, 97F, 102F, 100F, 97F and 99F. The first six days of July were similar. I don't think that's average, but still.

I believe one of our Italian posters has given an explanation for why Florence is considerably hotter in the summer than one might expect, but I don't remember the details.

Posted by
1527 posts

Florence is hot in the summer as it is surrounded by mountains and hills; it is very much like living at the bottom of a bowl, the relentless sun is coupled with the lack of refreshing winds.

The OP seems to wrongly assume that June will be pleasantly fresh and it will become hotter in July. It does not work this way. It is already hot in June - on bad years even in very late May - and while July is the worst month, June is often only marginally better.