Please sign in to post.

Tuscany/Umbria

We are spending 14 days in Italy in June. I have most of the itinerary figured out but wanting suggestions on whether to go to Siena or Orvieto (after leaving Lucca)for the last 2 days of our trip prior to heading back to Rome. I am also open to other suggestions in that area. We will be traveling by train.

Posted by
1883 posts

Pat, it would be a bit easier to access Orvieto if you are traveling by train. The train station at Siena is outside the old city, and you will have to take a taxi to get to the city. Orvieto's train station is just below the hilltop town, you get off the train, go across the street and pay for the funicular up to the old town.

That being said...Siena offers more for a 2 say stay. Orvieto can be seen in one day. If you choose to just use this time to relax, feel no rush, then go to Orvieto. you can see St Patrick's well, the Duomo and the tunnels under the city.

Siena has many more places to eat, more sights...it's just a bit bigger. Both are beautiful!

Posted by
3 posts

Thank you! I would love to go to Sn Gimignano or Montalcina but they both look like they may be hard to access by train. Is that true?

Posted by
3112 posts

You cannot reach San Gimignano or Montalcino by train, but you can easily day trip from Siena to San Gimignano by bus.

Also, note that there are frequent city buses from the Siena train station to Piazza Gramsci. Bus tickets were 1 euro when I last visited in 2008.