Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Suggestions

Hi All:
My husband and I will be in Italy from 4/18 - 5/3/24. We are fairly comfortable with our general itinerary (Rome 3 nites; Tuscany 4 nites, Ligerian Coast 3 nights, Lake Como 5 nights. Leaving from Milan, so 1 night there). What we're struggling with is how to manage our time to/from and in Tuscany. We've selected an agritourismo (Agriturismo il Rigo, San QUirico d'Oracia). We plan to rent a car and drive from Rome.

What suggestions do you have in terms of the drive there and the surrounding areas? What do you recommend in terms of lovely small villages we could stop at for lunch or a stroll between Rome and our destination? What other locations do you suggest? We are most interested in food, wine, and scenary and not interested in a side trip into Florence. Would love a cooking lesson, winery tour(s) and interesting towns. As much as we've heard that San Gimignano is lovely, I worry it's too touristy.

We will drive from there to La Spezia to drop our car, so any suggestions for that route are also welcomed.

For what it's worth, my husband is in his 70's and I'm mid 60's. Thanks in advance for your kind suggestions!

Posted by
1773 posts

I suggest reading up on Tuscany and your other destinations and then reading up again. Only you know your preferences - Italy and Tuscany have too many attractions to allow easy answers. Perhaps start with this website's Tuscany section which includes a map to help with the geography. https://www.wanderingitaly.com/maps/tuscany-maps-guide.html
I do especially remember the drive along the SP60 through the Crete Senese hills from San Quirico to Siena, so don't miss that route.

Posted by
1026 posts

Hello Suesea,

In San Quirico d'Oracia you'll be very close to Pienza, Montalcino and Montepulciano all of which are suitable famous hilltowns and are worth visiting with the second two being particularly famous for wine. San Gimignano is probably close to 2 hours both ways and I'm 100% sure there are more interesting places closer to where you're staying versus making that drive for one particular town. Cortona is closer to an hour each way if you want to visit a Tuscan hilltown famous for being beautiful.

Check for sagras in the area while you are there. These are local celebrations usually for food - eg the mushroom sagra - and those I would love to participate in given the chance. They are often in small towns so it's hard to participate without a car even when you find out they're happening. These are often at different dates and are very local and difficult to plan from the states.
Some examples:
https://orciawinefestival.wordpress.com/
https://www.giraitalia.it/antiquariato_collezionismo/62243_64_edizione_mostra_mercato_dell_artiginato.html

The classic Heart of Tuscany drive Rick recommends (which I've done) runs past Lake Bolsena and up SR2 into Tuscany. I've done it from Orvieto but if you're coming from Rome (which I haven't done) I'd look to take the SR2 north out of Rome or maybe the SS3 heading north and then head back to towards Lake Bolsena. I can't say which is more scenic but I know SR2 heads through a couple of towns including Viterbo which may be worth a stop to check out the old city center if you're looking to break up the drive.

Heading north I would keep onto SR2 past Siena (always worth a visit) or you could then throw in San Gimignano as a detour but I would then add Volterra (or just do Volterra instead) if you're looking to explore on this drive rather than just get there. But the drive itself staying rural I would count on 4+ hours of driving alone.

In all of Italy but in Tuscany especially don't forget to slow down and enjoy the quiet la dolce far niente in thay amazing place.

Hope that helps, sounds like a great trip,
=Tod

Posted by
145 posts

We did Rick‘s suggested drive from Montepulciano to San Filippo hot springs to bagno Vignoni hot springs to Penza. It’s in the books and a really fun day!

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you! Your comments are very helpful to help us in our planning!