Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Itinerary

Hi,

Can I please have some advice on my itinerary for Tuscany:

Monday April 30:
Start from Roma at 09:30 and then drive for 02:15 hours towards a classic Tuscan farmhouse near Pienza. Arrive at 12:00. Visit the farm, pecorino cheese tour and testing and lunch not included in the price (Euro 45,00 each people). The available time there will be 02:00 hours. At 14:00 drive for 40 minutes towards a nice family running winery. Arrive at 14:40. Wine tour and tasting not included in the price. The available time there will be 01:10 hours. At 15:50 drive for 2 hours towards your Villa in Montespertoli Arrive at 18:00. Your final destination.

If we leave from Rome this early it means we have to go to St Peters on Sunday afternoon, I would rather leave at 12pm and skip the winery (we will be going to others)

Tuesday May 1: Labor Day Holiday
Relax at Villa
Should we go to Lucca?

Wednesday May 2:
Florence

Thursday May 3:
Option 1:

Start from Montespertoli at 09:00 and then drive for 01:10 hours towards Siena. Arrive at 10:10. Free time to visit the city. The available time there will be 02:00 hours. At 12:10 drive for 01:00 hours towards Winery. Arrive at 13:10. Wine tour, tasting and light lunch. The available time there will be 01:30 hours. At 14:40 drive for 20 minutes towards San Gimignano. Arrive at 15:00. Free time to visit the city and have the "best gelato in thew world". The available time there will be 01:15 hours. At 16:15 drive for 45 minutes towards Montespertoli. Arrive at 17:00. Your final destination.

Option 2:

Start from Montespertoli at 09:00 and then drive for 45 minutes towards San Gimignano. Arrive at 09:45. Free time to visit the city and have the "best gelato in thew world". The available time there will be 01:20 hours. At 11:05 drive for 01:10 hours towards Siena. Arrive at 12:15. Visit the city on you own and have lunch in the main square (not included in the price, to pay onsite). The available time there will be 02:40 hours. At 14:55 drive for 01:10 hours towards Montespertoli. Arrive at 16:05.

How much time do we need in Sienna? Should we skip SG?

Friday May 4:
Take the coastal road back to Rome, stop at wineries and Bolgheri

Should we go to Orvieto on either Monday or Friday instead of what we have planned?

Thank you!

Meghan

Posted by
2096 posts

drive for 01:10 hours towards Siena. Arrive at 10:10. Free time to visit the city. The available time there will be 02:00 hours.

I'm guessing your driving times are taken from Google maps. I wouldn't make plans based on those times. They may be right, or there may be traffic and it may take you half again as long.

2 hours for Siena? 1:15 for San Gimignano? Why bother? You can't park the car and walk through the front gate of San Gimignano in less than 30 minutes. You could see more of these towns by watching a travel video in your living room. San Gimignano is a day's worth and it takes two full days just to scratch the surface of Siena.

Your timetable is unrealistic. Throw away at least 2/3 of what you have planned. It's not quantity, it's quality.

Posted by
7 posts

Thank you for the advice. These are time tables prprovided by our transportation company that will be dropping us off at these places so we don't have to worry about parking. Even so I think we will just spend all day at Sienna on Thursday. I understand it will take longer to see the whole town but we don't have longer. We don't need to see every nook and cranny, just want to relax on the plaza and get a sense of the town.

Should we go to Orvieto as we travel to and from Rome instead of one of the itineraries we have planned on Monday or Friday? If we stuck with Monday's plan I want to remove the winery to just do the pecorino farm.

Posted by
2096 posts

Just curious. Is this private transportation or will you be with a group? Have you been to Europe/Italy before? Have you paid a deposit with the transportation company?