Please sign in to post.

Tuscany Itinerary

Morning! Wanted to get some feedback on the following itinerary. We are focusing on Tuscany this trip along with a few nights in Rome as it will be our fourth trip. We are slow travelers. I have struggled a bit with the first five nights and wondered if our time would be spent better on the coast some where but with the activities at our agriturismo I didn’t want to be in a rush as our days trips out will be shorter. For reference we have been to Rome, Florence, Venice, Cinque a Terre, Lake Garda, Ortisei, & Verona. The only repeat this trip is Rome. I love it. Would enjoy feedback on Cretaiole if you have stayed. Thank
you!

2N Lucca - Picking up car in Florence
3N Siena With stops in Volterra & San Gimignano
7N Pienza Cretaiole Agriturismo Day trips around there and up to Cortona. Maybe Orvieto if we have time.
3N Rome - Dropping car in Chiusi

Posted by
250 posts

I think your itinerary sounds lovely. We are also "slow" travelers, so the pace would be good for us. I would definitely recommend that you take a day trip to Orvieto.

We have been parsing Italy for the last several years. One time Tuscany, next time Sicily, next time Puliga., etc. It is, in our opinion, a great way to see the country.
Enjoy!

Posted by
201 posts

Thanks for all your feedback. I really appreciate it! We feel three nights in Siena is good. It will give us almost two days there. We will be hitting at least Volterra on the way from Lucca. I really appreciate the replies.

Posted by
21 posts

I'd recommend stopping in and around Montalcino and visit Castello Banfi, a large beautiful winery. They have a really cool bottle museum there also.

Posted by
505 posts

With only 2 nights in Lucca, you aren't gonna be doing any day trips from the city that would require a car. So...Why not just get your car in Lucca as you head out? Save the hassle and cost of parking it outside the walls and tromping back and forth 2 days later

Posted by
201 posts

Hi Chris- Thanks for your suggestion. We had considered it but getting to Lucca from the Florence airport on the bus seemed like a hassle. It is still up for discussion though. We do have free parking at our hotel in Lucca so if we continue with picking it up at the airport that will be taken care of.