Please sign in to post.

Tuscany in December

I am planning a trip to Italy with my daughters in December. I am wondering if anyone has recommendations for a town to spend a week or so while exploring Tuscany. I thought it would be nice and relaxing to find an airbnb place which we could use as a base but wonder if anyone who has been in mid to late December might have some ideas?

Posted by
24 posts

We will definitely stay in Florence for a few days but I was thinking of somewhere else as a base and to just relax for a while. I am thinking of renting a car so we can explore the area easily.

Posted by
83 posts

Hi klraison,

Consider Montepulciano - this town is truly something special, especially around the holidays. It has one of the best Christmas Markets in all of Italy - perfect for your december trip. It also works as a great base to explore so many great towns located within a short drive. I have been travelling to Montepulciano a few time per year since 2014 - it one of my favorite places on earth!

If Montepulciano ends up on your short list of places, send me a message. I will pass along great restaurant and accommodation suggestions. Have a wonderful vacation! -TJ

Posted by
24 posts

Thank you for this, I would love some recommendations, I'll send you a message.

Posted by
4105 posts

One thing you need to really look into is your car rental. From November to April you're required to have chains for your car. The changes in elevation in this area can make it very slick, even if there's little to no snow.

Posted by
472 posts

Another vote for lovely Montepulciano, also Pienza. Our mid-December weather was fine throughout Tuscany.

Posted by
83 posts

I usually rent from Avis or Hertz at the Rome airport. During winter, if you ask for chains, they always provide them for free. I've never had to use them, thankfully!

Posted by
367 posts

How old are your daughters? Makes a big difference. We did Tuscany in November with a 6 mo old and 3 year old and had tons of fun. But my husband took the same kids back last year in December and they were having a cold snap and the AirBnB they stayed at was freezing* and, as the Italian cousin said: "che disastro! Non c'e wifi!"

• By freezing, I mean he had to have his shoes by the bed and start the stove in the morning. Tuscany can be very cold off season. Even if the outside air temps are mild, the buildings are stone and concrete and can be damp. You need to dress warmer inside than out sometimes. (No, this wasn't a terrible AirBnB-- it was the family's that they only rent out in the summer and he stayed for free in December -- but be aware that heating standards in Tuscany are not the same as in North America).

I agree with others who say Florence is the place to be off-season.

Posted by
1542 posts

We've based in Montepulciano twice, one of the times was here - https://www.fontecastello.it/

It's owned by a lovely family, provides a bit of countryside feel yet is only about a 15-20 minute walk to the edge of the old town.