Please sign in to post.

Tuscany home base

We are returning to Italy for vacation. Last time we did a 20 day loop from Como, Venice, Florence, and Rome and ended in Malta. This time we are planning to land in Rome, head south to Almafi coast for 5 days then north to Tuscany for 5 days. Reading over both of Ricks Italy books and Florence and Tuscany book, I am still confused where to home base in Tuscany. Shall we stay in Sienna? Volterra? Or Montepulciano/Montalcino? I think we will train and bus down to Positano and back up to Rome, then get a car either in Rome or Florence to have in Tuscany. Just confused as to where to home base in Tuscany; we day tripped to Sienna on our previous trip but could explore it deeper as well as get to cinque terre- maybe. We didn't get there last time but we want to engage in the country this time. Rick says Sienna is good to base out of without a car (actually Florence) but he really likes Volterra and Montepulciano as hill towns. Or do we need the car if we home base in Sienna?

We are traveling in September 2018

Posted by
228 posts

We rented a gorgeous little house up in the hills near Lucca and had a fantastic time. Breakfast on our terrace overlooking the town, listening to chirping crickets - lovely!

Lucca itself is beautiful, but we were also well-situated for exploration of quiet lanes, tiny villages and olive groves, plus Florence and Pisa. You do need a car however.

Posted by
11244 posts

Volterra and Lucca are far western Tuscany while Siena and Montepulciano are more central and closer to other towns. Volterra and Lucca are wonderful but not easy to visit most of Tuscany.

Posted by
189 posts

We have home based in Montepulciano and San Quirico for two week periods. We thought both were excellent . We made day driving trips to Florence, Sienna, Pisa and and many in between. Also a day trip each visit to Rome via train. We stayed in a villa just outside of Montepulciano and a restored house in San Quirico's old town.

Posted by
336 posts

We took the train from Florence to Chiusi, rented a car and drove to Montepulciano (45 minutes). Drove to Sienna one day. Cortona (Under the Tuscan Sun), Perugia and Lake Trasameno another day (technically that is in Umbria). Pienza and Montalcino another.. We heard terrible things about driving in Rome and Florence, so we decided it was easiest for us to just take the train to Chiusi and rent the car there.. Then we caught the train from Chiusi to Rome.. All very easy.

Posted by
396 posts

Siena would be my choice. A unique city. We always stay at Albergo Bernini. It is close to a bus stop.

Posted by
297 posts

I agree with caldbunch. Montepulciano makes for a great base. We have stayed there two times in 2013 and 2017 and enjoyed it. It is close for day trips to Montalcino and Pienza, Cortona, Assisi, and other small towns. Great wine regions. And Montepulciano is a wonderful town in itself. And driving the countryside is breathtaking.