Please sign in to post.

Tuscany for children

In a few weeks, my wife, six-year old son, and I will be staying for a week in Florence (I am already here for work). I want to take them places that are both interesting for us adults but also have kid activities. They have both been to Florence before and Venice. The best activity I have found so far is the caves in Orvieto mentioned in the RS Italy guidebook. Other ideas most welcome! Thanks, Robert

Posted by
3 posts

Hello! We visited Tuscany last Sept. with our 7 and 3 year old daughters. We stayed near Castellina in Chianti which has a tunnel built around it that the girls enjoyed. During the day, you can see the gorgeous surrounding landscape from the tunnel windows. And it's also pretty cool at night when it's lit up. Castellina also had the best gelato we've ever eaten at Antica Gelateria Delizia!
We visited the Pinocchio park in Collodi as well. They enjoyed that -there are a few rides, a maze, statues of the Pinocchio characters. I hope you have a wonderful time!

Posted by
89 posts

If you're already planning to head south to Orvieto, just a little further is Mostri di Bomarzo, a "monster" sculpture park. It's hard to describe, but it's a neat place. There are giant heads to climb inside, a slanted house and other neat sculptures. My kids loved it there and my husband and I had a lot of fun too. It's very close to the Umbria/Lazio border and not far off the autostrada.

Posted by
362 posts

This is my Florence for kids list - I have only written one article of the below but hope to finish someday! You can Google the rest to find more info - the Tree Experience is awesome for kids. Florence For Kids: Tree Experience (two locations) Il Museo dei Ragazzi (in the Palazzo Vecchio) La Specola Museum Climb the Duomo and/or Campanile Da Vinci Museum(s) - these are not "real" museums but small halls with recreations of some of his machines/inventions that you can actually climb in and on, etc. Pistoia Zoo Wind Cave - started this one: http://www.florence-on-line.com/florence-for-kids/grotta-del-vento-the-wind-cave.html - this is an all day trip from Florence. Santa Reparata - the excavation of the smaller church which is below the floor of the Duomo. Small entrance fee. Boboli Gardens - great for a long walk, hide and seek, etc.