Please sign in to post.

Tuscany!

Hi, me and two friends are touring europe for a month. We will mostly be in big cities throughout Europe and wanted to have a nice rest in a tuscan town for a night after we leave florence. I know this has been discussed before but we are looking for something picturesque, relaxing, charming, etc...any ideas. (btw were in our early 20's) The actual date we will be there will be june 3-4.

Thanks!

Michelle

Posted by
320 posts

Michelle:

My choice is Panzano - directly between Siena and Florence on the S222 (the Chianti road). Lots of great wineries (be sure to check out Panzanello and Volpaia) several great restaurants (Enoteca Baldi, Il Vescovino, Solo Ciccio) a great Sunday morning market and Italy's most famous butcher - Dario Cecchini. Plus nearby the restaurant in nearby Lamole has the most wonderful Sunday afternoon traditional Italian supper.

Panzano is a charming little village - we just love it and plan all of our Italy travel around a stay in Panzano.

Have fun.

Posted by
12172 posts

If you are heading toward Rome, Orvieto is a good choice. We picked it because it was convenient for driving to Rome the next day. It had much more than we expected - cliffs instead of a hill, major Cathedral and tunnels under the town dating to the Etruscans. We also splurged on fine dining there.

Posted by
479 posts

Michelle, how far out of Florence are you trying to get? Tuscany is a big place, and there are a ton of towns that would fit the bill.

Posted by
1449 posts

Michelle, how about a few more clues here. Are you looking for hill-towns or something out in the wine-growing countryside? Using a car or public transit?

Posted by
3112 posts

Consider Lucca, about an hour west of Florence by train. Small enough to be charming and relaxing, but active enough to be fun for people in their early 20's.

Posted by
21 posts

We are heading to Rome the next day, so going in that general direction would be good, but not totally necessary, and we are using public transport, not cars. Also wine town, hill town, it doesnt really matter to us. But we do like wine, so that would be interesting.

Posted by
5508 posts

Michelle, Using public transportation between Florence and Rome, I would suggest either Orvieto or Cortona. Both are easily accessible by public transportation from the main trainline between Florence and Rome. For Cortona, you would take the train to the Camucia stop. From the stop, it is about 20 minutes by bus up the hill to Cortona.