Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

My friend and I will be in Tuscany for a few days before we head down to Tivoli. We will spend a few days near Siena and San Gimignano, but on the way to Tivoli I am torn between staying in/near Spello, Spoleto or Montepluciano?

I've heard so many wonderful things about all three places. Art history is not that exciting to us, but really like the small town vibe. As long as it's not too small :-) Or should we stop somewhere else on our way to Tivoli? Where would you advise us for small, yet fun and inviting? We will be driving and have quite a bit of wiggle room as to where we head, as long as we go South.

Posted by
11203 posts

We spent two weeks in beautiful flower decked Spello. It will give you a feel for Umbria and has many wonderful places to dine.
Spello and Spoleto are in Umbria while Montepulciano is in Tuscany .

Posted by
2188 posts

I've been to all three and would rank them Spello, Montepulciano, Spoleto. Assisi is almost close enough to Spello to walk to, and it's definitely worth a day's visit as well.

Posted by
307 posts

Not going to argue with someone who's been to all three. We spent three nights in Montepulciano in 2019, it was wonderful. From there we also visited Pienza and Cortona. Spello will be part of our next trip in 2022. From everything we've seen and read, Spoleto is probably third on that list.