Please sign in to post.

Tuscany agriturismo recommendations

Hi fellow travelers - My husband and I were originally going to the Dolomites but we have switched our itinerary and are now going to Tuscany region instead (listed itinerary below). Sounds like we are going to need to rent a car. Assuming we do…

Ask: Looking for an agriturismo in Tuscany. I would like a place that offers all meals, experiences such as cooking classes, truffle hunting, fresh food, animals, wine vineyard on property. (I know I am asking alot) I am unfortunately behind schedule to book as we changed plans, but I welcome all your suggestions, even if they do not meet all these criteria. Something luxe would be nice but still authentic.

Want to be near Montepulciano, Assisi for homebase. But would like to do a day trip to Siena and Florence, if possible.

8/29-9/2 Como
9/2-9/7 Tuscany
9/7-9/10 Venice
9/10-9/12 Milan

Thank you everyone!

Posted by
42 posts

We stayed at an agriturismo in Pienza five years ago called Fonte Bertusi. They only serve breakfast but from there we visited several other towns like Montepulciano, Montalcino, etc. They can arrange anything for you. They scheduled winery tours for us, a cooking class, a cheese farm and made restaurant reservations. There is a pool and a variety of rooms. Check the website and see what you think. It is one of the places i would love to go back to. They are so warm and gracious. On the way there from Sienna we stopped in San Giamigiano.

Posted by
2176 posts

We spent a wonderful week at Castello di Verrazzano that's near Greve, about 20 km south of Florence. From there we did day trips to Florence and Siena. It ticks many of your boxes. We opted for breakfast to be included. They do serve lunch and dinner and I highly recommend doing their food and wine pairing at least once for either lunch or dinner.

There's lots of places to eat nearby and I actually wouldn't want to stay somewhere where every meal was included. From our home base, we also explored Radda, San Gimignano, Volterra, Panzano and Castellina. Also the Abbey of Monte Olivetto di Maggiore is nearby and worth a visit. The famous SR222 highway is nearby.

You really need a car to explore the region. Get an IDP, learn the rules of driving in Italy, including all traffic rules and you're set. Most towns, especially the hill towns have ZTLs, but we found them well marked and easily avoided. You can either take the bus to Florence to avoid having to dodge ZTLs and park, or just outside Florence there's a great car park with plenty of room and a shuttle the goes into the heart of the city.

Have a great trip!