Please sign in to post.

Tuscany advice

We are considering a trip Tuscany next spring. We'd like to find one city to use as a base of operations and make day trips to the sites and places we'd like to see. Suggestions? While eating, sampling the local wines and museums are on the list, we'd like to take a cooking class, a nature hike, visit a family farm or go kayaking. We'd appreciate recommendations. Thanks, Doug

Posted by
1501 posts

Florence would definitely have the best travel connections, both train and bus. It also has the most to offer as a city for its own specific sites. I've spent three weeks there, and still haven't seen all of it.

From Florence you can bus to Siena for a day trip, San Gimi, etc. You can arrange for a wine tour that will take you to a vineyard/farm for lunch -- some of them include lunch at a winery and dinner at a farm.

Posted by
663 posts

If you plan to rent a car, stay at an agritourismo just outside Siena. If you plan day trips using trains and buses, Florence is best.

Posted by
8 posts

Hello Dkknott,
I always suggest to take the beautiful hill town Cortona as a base to travel in Central Italy (Tuscany, Lazio and Umbria in particular).
This is a small charming town from wich you can join in less than 1 hour central Florence, Siena, Assisi, Orvieto, Grosseto...
In Cortona you will have many things to see and to do, too when you won't make day trips. To find cooking classes and experiences as well as wine tours I suggest the portal www.doitintuscany.net and to find an accommodation the other portal http://www.rentintuscany.it/index.php . They will help you find best solutions for day trips, wine tours and cooking classes.
Enjoy your vacations!
Federica

Posted by
8 posts

Hello Dkknott,
I always suggest to take the beautiful hill town Cortona as a base to travel in Central Italy (Tuscany, Lazio and Umbria in particular).
This is a small charming town from wich you can join in less than 1 hour central Florence, Siena, Assisi, Orvieto, Grosseto...
In Cortona you will have many things to see and to do, too when you won't make day trips. To find cooking classes and experiences as well as wine tours I suggest the portal www.doitintuscany.net and to find an accommodation the other portal http://www.rentintuscany.it/index.php . They will help you find best solutions for day trips, wine tours and cooking classes.
Enjoy your vacations!
Federica