Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

Can anyone suggest a good agritourismi place to stay in Tuscany? I am using Rick's book, but it's very hard to decide. Orvieto seems the most appealing to me. Please give me the exact name, if you have a suggestion.

Maria

Posted by
1201 posts

Maria - Orvieto is actually in Umbria, but why get nitpicky. ;-)

Tuscany is a fairly large area and the north and south sections are somewhat different. Try to decide the spots you would like to visit and settle on something located near to them.

Posted by
213 posts

Check out Fullino Nero near Siena. I don't know if it would precisely qualify as an agritourisimo, but it is farm lodging--modestly priced and quaintly attractive.

Posted by
606 posts

When this question comes up, Agriturismo Cretaiole near Pienza is usually the most recommended place in Tuscany. From what I hear, the owners live on the place and spend a lot of time with guests, showing them how to make pasta, talking about the farming operation, etc. April-November they require a full week stay, Saturday-to-Saturday. In the winter they accept stays as short as 3 nights.

If you need a good place that allows shorter stays, I love Agriturismo San Gallo, on a farm located right at the edge of Montepulciano. I spent 3 nights there a few weeks ago and have posted a review HERE.

Posted by
409 posts

Patrick's right...Cretaiole is highly regarded, and for good reason. Isabella and her entire family really treat you to a true Tuscan experience...pici (pasta) making class, olive oil tasting, tour of Etruscan ruins right on their property, walking tour of Siena, and so much more (all the things I mentioned are included at no cost). They also offer many other activities at a nominal cost. We liked it so much in 2007 that we took my wife's parents with us for a repeat in 2008.

We found Pienza to be an ideally central location for touring. We day-tripped as far away as Volterra, Assisi, Cortona, etc. Orvieto is very special and could also be done as a day trip, with Montepulciano along the way.

Posted by
2297 posts

Maria has given no hint as to what kind of agriturismo she's looking for. There are hundreds and hundreds to choose from that appeal to different clienteles. Is she travelling alone? with a family? as a romantic couple? young people on a budget??

What time of the year is she travelling? In March I wouldn't look for a place with an outdoor pool, in July I wouldn't choose one without one ....

Cretaiole looks lovely. And I would love to stay there one day if I'm just out for a holiday with my husband. When we were looking for accommodation in Tuscany last year this one wouldn't have even made it into any selection at all because

a) the cost is double what our budget allowed for

b) even if we'd gotten a deal my kids would have refused to go as there is no pool

I don't know what to recommend to Maria as I have absolutely no clue what she's looking for.

Posted by
2023 posts

We were in Tuscany for a six night stay in May. Stayed near Montalcino at Agriturisimo La Crociana for 60 euros per night--found it in RS Guidebook. We loved it--very quiet, beautiful pool and grounds, and we actually had a small apartment--very comfortable. We would definitely stay there again.

Posted by
37 posts

Terrapille. Lucia is gracious, unassuming and a warm hostess. We were able to walk into some of her private property as she lives in the next farm house. She speaks great English. Rooms are clean and spacious and there is a pool also a kitchen for larger groups. The view of Pienza is stunning and we loved Pienza.