Please sign in to post.

Tuscany

My husband and I were thinking of going from our staging area of Lugano, Switz.(after visiting Como and Magiorre) over to the Tuscany region of Italy, before finishing our trip in Paris. If we flew from Milan to Florence, would we be able to find a tour which would take us around the area? From the internet it sounds as though people either drive or do take the train. The logistics of us taking a train and hauling our luggage around, doesn't sound inviting to us. I would think there would be day tours or something like that. Maybe I'm biting off more than we can handle. It is just we have shaved a few days off our trip and though we would try to get a little of Italy in, in the four or five days we have. Thank you. Elaine

Posted by
32216 posts

Elaine,

First of all, I would NOT fly from Milan to Florence! The distance is fairly short, and I suspect it will take you a lot longer via air due to security, check-in, wait times, etc. The train is by far the easiest option, and most people manage just fine with their luggage (but of course, be sure to pack light)! I would also suggest that you read the "Rail Skills" chapter in Europe Through The Back Door, so that you're up to speed on how to travel by train, how to deal with changes, etc.

You could easily spend five days in Florence, with day trips to Pisa, Siena, Lucca or other locations in the area, and then fly to Paris (perhaps Milan MXP to Paris CDG via EasyJet).

Happy travels!

Posted by
160 posts

Elaine,

We booked a trip through expedia and visited Siena and San Gimignano for the day. We took the bus trip from Florence. It was wonderful, I really enjoyed it.

Posted by
1358 posts

When you arrive in Florence, telephone a travel agent and ask about tours. He will know those which are available to you, details and costs.